Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training???

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:18 AM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter is 14 months and I have a friend that had her daughter potty trained by 18 months, which I've heard is early. But I'm just wondering what you moms know or experienced about potty training and at what age did you start training your babies/toddlers. Any advice is appreciated :)

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DeziiRee
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:22 AM

MY SON WILL BE 2 NEXT WK AND HE IS JUST NOW WANTING TO POTTY TRAIN. HE WONT GO TO THE POTTY, BUT HE WILL TELL ME AFTER HE PEES AND POOS. I THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE KID WHEN YOU SHOULD START.

mommy2bunny
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:35 AM

My mom is in the potty training business.  With that said, It does depend on the child to a point.  Most people say that they wait until the child is ready.  But, how can the child be ready and understand what they need to do until their parent (who is also their teacher) teaches them?  So, it is up to the parent when they want to teach them...then, and only then, will the child be ready.  My DD was trained at 19 months.  My nephew at 17 months, my other nephew at 14 months.  I was a nanny before my DD was born, and every child I've trained, was fully trained before their 2nd birthday.  Just remember, the older they get, the lazier they become because they know they don't have to stop playing or whatever they're doing to pee/poop.  It is still a life lesson, just like feeding themselves, brushing their teeth, getting dressed, etc.  You don't expect them to automatically know how to do those things, so you can't expect them to know how to use the toilet unless you teach them.  Diapers are for babies, not toddlers, preschoolers, or kids....just babies.  If you want to start introducing the whole bathroom thing, then now is a good time to start.  I wrote a potty training journal on the steps my mom does.  Please read it.  If you have any questions, please ask.  I love helping (if I'm able to).

POTTY TRAINING STEPS - CLICK HERE

izzybear0217
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM

My dd was 2 1/2 and she was a lot of work. Here we are 6 months later and shes still giving us trouble. She doesn't wet herself during the day. She only has poop accidents. One piece of advice I wish i had when i started is don't do pull ups. As my mom says they are just glorified diapers.

luvmikids2
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I started training my daughter around 2 1/2..3 and it took her about a year to be fully potty trained with no accidents..but my son on the other hand is 3 and will not for ANYTHING go to the potty he likes his pull up way to much..lol

luvmikids2
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Quoting mommy2bunny:

My mom is in the potty training business.  With that said, It does depend on the child to a point.  Most people say that they wait until the child is ready.  But, how can the child be ready and understand what they need to do until their parent (who is also their teacher) teaches them?  So, it is up to the parent when they want to teach them...then, and only then, will the child be ready.  My DD was trained at 19 months.  My nephew at 17 months, my other nephew at 14 months.  I was a nanny before my DD was born, and every child I've trained, was fully trained before their 2nd birthday.  Just remember, the older they get, the lazier they become because they know they don't have to stop playing or whatever they're doing to pee/poop.  It is still a life lesson, just like feeding themselves, brushing their teeth, getting dressed, etc.  You don't expect them to automatically know how to do those things, so you can't expect them to know how to use the toilet unless you teach them.  Diapers are for babies, not toddlers, preschoolers, or kids....just babies.  If you want to start introducing the whole bathroom thing, then now is a good time to start.  I wrote a potty training journal on the steps my mom does.  Please read it.  If you have any questions, please ask.  I love helping (if I'm able to).

I could use you in my house my son is so stubborn..i've tried everything.. nothing works..im going to check out your journal tho..

Sariah747
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM

My oldest was trained at 16 months and took about 72 hours, next one was 14 months and was trained after one hit, the next one was about 28 months (yes i got lazy he was the baby) and my youngest was 23 months. We let them get use to the idea letting them sit on the potty with thier diaper still on, then got rid of ALL diapers and went straight to underwear or panties. My 2nd and 4th were the easiest they just found out it went somewhere else and never missed again, even at night!!

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I didn't train my dd until she was a little over 2 years old and was potty trained by 2 years,7 months,meaning dry day and night,wearing undies and could communicate to me that she needed to go.I can't imagine trying to train a 14 month old,especially when mine was 14 months old! It would have been more work and more of a headache for me.She trained at just the right time

mommy2bunny
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Pull ups are glorified diapers and do not potty train your child.  The parent potty trains the child.  I really wish Huggies and Pampers would stop giving false advertisements.  It's just another way to keep you spending money.  Take away the pull ups completely.  Your son is old enough to understand peeing in the toilet.  By wearing diapers, he knows he doesn't have to stop what he's doing to pee....all he has to do is go in his pants and the diaper will absorb it enough so he's comfortable. 

Quoting luvmikids2:

I started training my daughter around 2 1/2..3 and it took her about a year to be fully potty trained with no accidents..but my son on the other hand is 3 and will not for ANYTHING go to the potty he likes his pull up way to much..lol

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:23 AM

My first, I started at 18 o, she was day trained poop nad pee by age 2. (she wore diapers for another year to bed, then one day we took them off)

This kid, we're PAST 18 mo, and she has yet to try. I don't have time to do it like last time, so it could be a while...

mommy2bunny
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Quoting luvmikids2:

Quoting mommy2bunny:

I could use you in my house my son is so stubborn..i've tried everything.. nothing works..im going to check out your journal tho..

Which is exactly why my mom is in the business.  To help other parents like you.  She doesn't technically train the children herself, she teaches the parents and help them train their own children.  Kind of like Super Nanny coming into your home to help.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)