Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FLORIDA MOMS - UPDATE IN REPLIES the bill cleared today....

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:39 AM
  • 14 Replies

As many of you know Florida currently has some of the worst child seat laws in the US.  Currently children are not required to be in a booster seat or child restraint over the age of 5.

I copy and pasted this from the car seat safety group.

This bill gets presented every year but never gets passed.

On Tuesday @ 3:30PM, the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice will hear Booster Seat Bill, SB 316, sponsored by Senator Altman. This is the second committee that this Bill faces in the Senate. It passed in the Senate Transportation Committee unanimously last month. As I result, I kindly ask for your help with three actions. Please note, calls are more powerful than any other means of communication with the Legislature. If you can call and email, this is even more powerful.
1. Please ask the members of the Senate Committe on Criminal Justice to support SB 316, the Booster Seat Bill.
Senate Committee on Criminal Justice
Chair: Senator Paula Dockery (R) (850) 487-5040
dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov
Vice Chair: Senator Frederica S. Wilson (D) (850) 487-5116 wilson.frederica.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Victor D. Crist (R) (850) 487-5068 crist.victor.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Charles S. "Charlie" Dean, Sr. (R) (850) 487-5017 dean.charles.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Ted Deutch (D) (850) 487-5091 deutch.ted.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Gary Siplin (D) (850) 487-5190 siplin.gary.web@lsenate.gov
Senator John Thrasher (R) (850) 487-5030 thrasher.john.web@flsenate.gov
Senator J. Alex Villalobos (R) (850) 487-5130 villalobos.alex.web@flsenate.gov
Also, we need this Bill to move in the House.
Please call members of theHouse Roads, Bridges & Ports Policy Committee.
2. Please ask the Chair to put it on the Committee's next agenda.
3. Ask the committee members to support HB 387 (companion bill).
House Roads, Bridges & Ports Policy Committee
Chair: Aubuchon, Gary (R) (850) 488-7433
gary.aubuchon@myfloridahouse.gov
Vice Chair: Workman, Ritch (R) (850) 488-9720 ritch.workman@myfloridahouse.gov
(D) Ranking Member: Gibson, Audrey (D) (850) 488-7417 audrey.gibson@myfloridahouse.gov
Clarke-Reed, Gwyndolen (D) (850) 488-0880 gwyn.clarke- reed@myfloridaho use.gov
Ford, Clay (R) (850) 488-0895 clay.ford@myflorida house.gov
Horner, Mike (R) (850) 488-8992 Mike.Horner@myfloridahouse.gov
Patronis, Jimmy (R) (850) 488-9696 jimmy.patronis@myfloridahouse.gov
Precourt, Stephen L. (R) (850) 488-0256 Steve.Precourt@myfloridahouse.gov
Ray, Lake (R) (850) 488-4388 Lake.Ray@myfloridahouse.gov
Robaina, Julio (R) (850) 488-6506 Julio.Robaina@myfloridahouse.gov
Rogers, Hazelle P. (D) (850) 488-8234 Hazelle.Rogers@myfloridahouse.gov
Steinberg, Richard L. (D) (850) 488-0690 Richard.Steinberg@myfloridahouse.gov
Taylor, Dwayne L. (D) (850) 488-0580 dwayne.taylor@myfloridahouse.gov
Thompson, Nicholas R. (R) (850) 488-1541 nick.thompson@myfloridahouse.gov
The next & last Senate committee the Bill faces is the Committee on Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations.
In the House, it has to clear 3 committees:
Roads, Bridges, & Ports Policy (EDCA)
Full Appropriations Council on Education & Economic Development
Economic Development & Community Affairs Policy Council

FYI - The link to actual bill & talking points are below.
Thanks for your support,
If you want to read the actual Booster Seat Bill, click:
http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&Mode=Bills&ElementID=JumpToBox&SubMenu=1&Year=2010&billnum=316
Or go to www.flsenate. gov or www.flhouse. gov & type in the bill numbers.

Here are some talking points.
1) 47 States have a Booster Seat Law. It is time Florida show that children are our most valued asset by placing safety first.
2) Florida spends $6.5 million dollars per year in treating injuries due to auto accidents for children 4 to 8 years of age.
3) Every booster seat purchased saves $1800 in medical bills, quality of life measures, time lost from work, etc. (Booster seats are not cost-prohibitive. An adequate booster seat can be purchased for as little as $30).
4) Florida averages 22 automobile accident-related deaths per year for children 4 to 8 years of age.
5) Booster seats are needed to prevent children, who have outgrown their car seats, from suffering brain, spinal cord, and internal abdominal injuries.
6) Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death and acquired disabilities in children between 4 to 8 years of age.
7) Children 4 to 8 years of age are 4 times more likely to suffer head/brain injuries and 3 times more likely to suffer severe abdominal injuries when restrained according to present Florida law (only with a seat belt) vs. when they are restrained appropriately with a booster seat.
8) 40% of children 4 to 8 years of age are not properly restrained in an automobile (i.e. restrained with either a car seat or booster seat).

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NANA21
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:41 AM

You can put YOUR child in one right?

MommaBunch84
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM
bump
jrp0606
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Yes you can and should be putting your child in one.

but currently it is not illegal for a 5 year old to be in nothing in FL.

Quoting NANA21:

You can put YOUR child in one right?

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:50 AM

It's age of 5 and over a certain weight. Front seats must always have a seatbelt on. To be perfectly honest, I see kids younger than that without seatbelts which is wrong but if the parent is going to allow it, they are going to allow it. Just because it's law doesn't mean much.

As a responsible parent, you need to set your own auto safety rules and go with it. My 16 y/o daughter is required to wear a seatbelt when sitting in the back also. My 5 year old son is STILL in a car seat. We have a booster but we don't use it. My 4 y/o is also in a carseat and because she's sooo petite, she may be in it longer than my son.

jrp0606
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Whilst I agree with you 100% it should be the parents responsiblity to keep their kids safe - I know you have been around cafemom long enough to have heard the excuse

"well if its the safest - why isn't it the law"

the sad truth of the matter is some parents need the law to tell them how to keep their kids safe.

Quoting GOBryan:

It's age of 5 and over a certain weight. Front seats must always have a seatbelt on. To be perfectly honest, I see kids younger than that without seatbelts which is wrong but if the parent is going to allow it, they are going to allow it. Just because it's law doesn't mean much.

As a responsible parent, you need to set your own auto safety rules and go with it. My 16 y/o daughter is required to wear a seatbelt when sitting in the back also. My 5 year old son is STILL in a car seat. We have a booster but we don't use it. My 4 y/o is also in a carseat and because she's sooo petite, she may be in it longer than my son.

jnlwelch
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:44 AM

bump

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:44 AM

BUMP

lundaylove
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM

ill be sending this info to my florida friends and family. Fl laws suck and there are so many people there that dont know the law or dont care. Im hoping once this is law more kids will be safe. At the moment i know too many 2-3yo in boosters that it makes me sick to my stomach!!

jnlwelch
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM
bump
jrp0606
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)