Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diaper rash gone wild

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:21 AM
  • 19 Replies

ok my 11 mo old has a HORRIBLE diaper rash and desitin isnt cuttin it. in fact its getting worse! making its way up his back and down his little legs i called the ped but the desk nurse said "its a diaper rash theres nothing we can do" its been 2 weeks!! the poor little boy is miserable! so any help from mamas?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whitbug
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM

my daughter has the same problem sometimes and most kids are allergic to destine and it make the rash worse i bet your kid is too go to the grocery store and get some corn starch and cake it on his bum and it will cure it in a day

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM

It could be an allergy, or it could also be a yeast rash rather than just an irritation rash. I'd ask about yeast rash/infections. 

I looked up yeast infections on WebMD and this is an excerpt from there:

Diaper rash or other candidal infections on the skin can be treated with over-the-counter nystatin powders (Mycostatin, Nilstat, Nystat-Rx, Nystex, O-V Staticin) or antifungal creams and lotions.

• If the rash worsens at any time, or if the lesions do not clear in 1-2 weeks, call your doctor.

• Fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, or the rash spreading to other parts of your body may be a sign of a more serious illness.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM

There IS stuff they can do, like steroid creme. You could go no dipe for a while, or try some aquaphor. I have this FAB stuff that smells like lemons and feelis like oil. OOH maybe some olive oil?? IDK, sorry...

ozzyswifey
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM

have you tried a&d ointment? it works for my twins good luck mama

Juliasmommie225
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM

just take him to the doctor!! my doctor said the same thing and i said well i wanted to be seen by the doctor and he gave me a prescription for a diaper rash cream and it worked so fast ad so good!!

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I would try some lotramin cream (same as you get for athletes foot) Put that on the rash and then put the other ointment on top. I would not use diaper rash cream, it might be making it worse.... try some Udder Balm... you can get it at places like Walgreens it comes in a tin.

Don't use diaper wipes they sting. And don't try to wipe off all the old cream each time.

Let him soak his bottom in the tub and air dry as much as possible.

If you have changed diapers or wipes recently stop using them

Tanya12
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Get a bowel of warm water and only wipe him at diaper changes with a wet washrag. Make sure its dry before you put his diaper back on. Apply Lotrimin cream(generic is fine), an Anti-Itch Ointment, and the regular, clear A+D Ointment(comes in a brownish/reddish box) Give him a luke warm Baking Soda bath every day until it starts to clear. Add just enough to the bath so you can see or feel its presence in the water. Dont use any other soap during the Baking Soda bath its just a time for him to soak in the soda from the waste down for a while. You can also add some Baking Soda to the bowel of warm water at diaper changes if you want. It doesnt need to be rinsed off. Diaper rashes are often dark red/bright red, thick and sometimes shiny....The Baking Soda helps draw out and dry the infection.  Good luck! :)

lundaylove
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM

you have a crappy ped then. if its been two weeks its more than a diaper rash, could be his pH balance is off or its a yeast infection. Either way he needs to be seen. My daughter had one and it took 3 months to go away. during which we were trying to get her seen by her doc and they never listened. turned out her pH balances were off, they gave her some meds and a diaper rash cream called Happy Hiney and it cleared up in 1 day.

ShadowRaven
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I do a thin layer of Neosporin with a THICK layer of butt paste on top for all of ds's diaper rashes. They're usually gone within a couple of hours.

angie729
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I used Monistat 7 on my kids for diaper rash. It worked wonders.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)