Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen graduating a year early from high school

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM
  • 28 Replies

My friend and i were talking about letting our girls graduate a year early from school if possible... I have have heard of this but not  surehow to go about it. I am going to talk to our school guidance counseler about it but i was curious if any of you moms may know anything about this.

I know all school have a number of credits each child needs in order to graduate.. ours is 28.This year my dd who is a freshman will have 8 then the next 2 years will have another which will leave her needing only 4 to graduate.. I have heard some things about colleges offering high school credits but im not sure..

This is not  being considered because its what my friend and i want its because our girls would like to do it..Age wise they would be the same age as some of the girls in the grade above them being that they are a few of the oldest in their grade due to their birthdays.

I personally would not mind if my dd did it due to the harrassment she gets from a certain group of girls at school.

Just wondering if any of you other moms would ever consider this?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babymamma808
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM

My friend in high schoo did this. she went to summer school to get the extra credits so she could grad early. she wasn't harrassed or put down or anything. she got along with the students in the year she was graduating, and i think it worked out great for her.

dosthepost
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Honestly? High school, senior year, prom, all of that stuff, are all valuable life experiences. I wouldn't encourage my daughter to graduate early, simply b/c she'd only be one semester ahead anyway, and in exchange she'd miss out on so much. I loved high school, and I'm certainly glad no one ever pushed me to graduate early.

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Look into AP classes at your daughter's school. AP stands for advanced placement, and if she passes an AP exam at the end of the course with a high enough score, most colleges will take it as credit for a course. Also, before she enters college, look into CLEP tests. These tests are cheaper to take than the average college course and again, most schools accept them. You have to get information on whether they're accepted and which test to take for which class from the college she plans on going to, though. 

As far as graduating early, a friend of mine graduated a semester early and started college. I'd definitely talk to the guidance counselor at her school about it. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

JADIEBUG
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I agree. My Senior year memories are some of my best memories from being a teen.

Quoting dosthepost:

Honestly? High school, senior year, prom, all of that stuff, are all valuable life experiences. I wouldn't encourage my daughter to graduate early, simply b/c she'd only be one semester ahead anyway, and in exchange she'd miss out on so much. I loved high school, and I'm certainly glad no one ever pushed me to graduate early.

emmiesmommy1109
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:24 PM

We had a girl who graduated a semester early and she was still allowed to go to prom. So, if she wants to, let her. Just make sure that if she wants to go to prom that her school will allow it. They will either let her go to the one when she's in 11th or the one the following year.

If I would have stayed in IN, I could have graduated a semester early but I just wanted to go back home. Now I kind of wish I had done that so I could have started working early. But, you live and you learn.

kat478
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Quoting dosthepost:

I was thinking the same things as you but im not pushing her to do this.. this is what she wants.she does get along with mostly everyone in her grade/school...shes just tired of being constantly harrassed by these girls..and so far nothing has worked to make them stop..the rumor they started yesterday was so bad that it could run my dds b/fs life if it got all around and people believed it..its so bad that even one of the girls mothers spreads nasty rumors about my dd.. do you know how bad i want to punch that woman in teh face right now?

dosthepost
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Quoting kat478:

Quoting dosthepost:

I was thinking the same things as you but im not pushing her to do this.. this is what she wants.she does get along with mostly everyone in her grade/school...shes just tired of being constantly harrassed by these girls..and so far nothing has worked to make them stop..the rumor they started yesterday was so bad that it could run my dds b/fs life if it got all around and people believed it..its so bad that even one of the girls mothers spreads nasty rumors about my dd.. do you know how bad i want to punch that woman in teh face right now?

if she wanted to do it, that's one thing. I'm simply saying I wouldn't PUSH anyone to KWIM? If it's something she wants to do, I'd certainly support her.

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

JADIEBUG
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Then talk to the school about the girls. If you allow her to run from her problems then she does not learn anything. She needs to stand up for herself and you need to get the school involved.

Quoting kat478:

Quoting dosthepost:

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Quoting kat478:

Quoting dosthepost:

I HATED high school. I wasn't picked on, wasn't singled out, I just hated being there. I would have loved to have graduated early. I didn't get to go to my prom anyway; I was out of town. If this is what she wants, I would let her do it. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

emmiesmommy1109
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Quoting kat478:

Quoting dosthepost:

There were lots of rumors going around about me because I had gotten pregnant. But, I prefered to go back to TX than deal with the drama.

marineswashing dishesbaby girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)