Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prolonging life the right to chose to die?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: should terminally ill people be able to chose weather they live or die

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

We live in a free country. We have the right to free speech, the right to chose what religion we want to be, the right to chose the type of school our kids go to. So why can't we commit suicide. Why can't we chose to end our life to end suffering.

For example last year my mom's FIL was having back pain so the dr did an x-ray and they did not find anything. They gave him pain med and sent him to a chiropractor. The chiropractor did another x-ray only this time they got part of his lungs and seen something. So they did an MRI and seen that he had cancer. But it was too late to do anything about it because it had already spread all over his lungs, to his heart and was in part of his brain. So the question is instead of living in pain and having someone take care of him, shouldn't he have a right to end his suffering.

I feel that if people are just waiting to die and are very sick then they should be able to chose when they should die if they wanted to. I also know how hard it is to the family because they don't want to see there love one pass away.

Sad to say my mom's FIL did not make it. He ended up passing away like a moth later.

So the question is do you feel people should be able to chose for themselves instead of Dr's or family why or why not?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellaamore
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I think they should be able to choose.  It is them feeling the pain.

onefootcutiepie
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:23 PM

They do have the right to not receive treatment and just receive meds for pain and whatnot. They just don't have the right to kill themselves. And really, you could. What are they going to do, put you in jail? KWIM? People do it. I don't think people should, but that's just my opinion. I think there is a purpose in suffering, but that is also my opinion.

2MonstersxMommy
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:25 PM

IMO they shouldn't be able to choose. I am pro-life, and in my eyes--God is the only person that can choose who lives and who dies.That goes for everyone from babies to the elderly.

I will agree to disagree with anyone who doesn't see it this way.

God Bless

ZoeCY
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I do think a person should have that right, I have watched too many people spend the last months of their lives completely miserable.  I personally would hate to get to the point where I can't do ANYTHING for myself or recognize those that I love most.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I absolutely think they should have the right to choose, but I know we may never see that clarified...

ZoeCY
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I have a question and please do not take this to be in anyway disrespectful, I am truthfully just curious.  Are you also against the death penalty? 

As far as the original topic I will also agree to disagree. 

Quoting 2MonstersxMommy:

IMO they shouldn't be able to choose. I am pro-life, and in my eyes--God is the only person that can choose who lives and who dies.That goes for everyone from babies to the elderly.

God Bless

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I do beleive that people should be able to choose to end their lives if they want.  who are we to tell people they must suffer and make their families suffer even longer.  We will gladly put our poor animals down so they don't suffer yet we aren't allowed to make the decision for ourselves?  For the pp who said then just do it they won't put you in jail.....the problem with that is alot of these people are in such bad shape they can't do for themselves and their drs or loved ones would be thrown in jail for helping.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Quoting ZoeCY:

I do think a person should have that right, I have watched too many people spend the last months of their lives completely miserable.  I personally would hate to get to the point where I can't do ANYTHING for myself or recognize those that I love most.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Tanya12
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Everyone has the right to kill themselves..Its pretty easy to do. How is this even a question lol  If you want to go to the doctors office and be euthanized like a prisoner on death row..Then expect your family to get a bunch of life insurance money or something..I dont think that should happen.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Quoting 2MonstersxMommy:

God Bless

HUH, I believen in God but I didn't even think of that...

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)