Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

having a baby not the same race (piog)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM
  • 26 Replies

Why do people feel that if you are white you can't raise a black child? I am mixed and I think my mom did a good job raising me. But i have heard that a white parents cant raise a black child because they would not be able to teach the child there heritages or how to be "black".

What is the deal? I just finish watching losing Isaiah and the Court scene just made me mad. I don't think race should be consider when being able to adopt. I have head that you can not adopt a native American unless you are one.

so what do you guys think

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I agree with you its stupid to think that our skin color will have any bearing on how we raise a child.

BTW I LOVE that movie, makes me so mad though LOL

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Um, well I know a LOT of adoptive families raising mixed races of children. Most of them have like a couple kids from russia with a couple kids from africa, somthing like that. It's not a problem for them. The ones I know that have problems are the US based ones. As in, the child was born in the US and is a different race. It's kind of weird.

by Amber on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:43 PM

IDK what difference it makes anymore...

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:45 PM

My sister is leaving next week to go get her baby girl that she is adopting from Ethiopia.  I'd hate to think that someone would rather that girl grow up in an orphanage than be raised by a white family.  Not to mention that African American culture is much different than Ethopian culture, which she would've been raised in.  I know that people have remarked to her that she should make sure that her daughter is brought up to understands black culture.  Which to me doesn't make much sense.  Why does she need to understand African American culture?  My sister will certainly make sure she learns about the culture in which she was born in, however.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I think it is JUST AS DUMB as you do. LOL.. seriously.  You think I would care what race someone was if I was a kid who needed parents?? Or if I put my baby up for adoption?

Who has an issue with that? Seriously?  Someone from another state or country couldn't teach my kid how to be Cajun, but I sure as hell wouldn't have an issue if they loved the child and kept it healthy and happy.

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I think the only people who have a problem with it were raised to have a problem with it. Wouldn't we rather see these kids adopted and loved, rather than waiting in a home for a family of the "right race"?!?! Do you think any of those kids are going to grow up and say "I wish I'd been raised to 'be' whatever race I am"? How do you 'BE' a race anyway?!

by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I think people who feel you need to be the same race to raise a child are ignorant. I am white and if I had a child of another race, I would probably educate myself with the history of that race better than what I already knew and I would raise that child to see that color does not matter, only love does. It's that mentality that creates racism IMO. If I raised a child of another race and they acted white then the people judging the childs actions are the racists ones.

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Well than someone better go take away Angelina Jolie's kids. She collects kids from all over the place and no one stops her.

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM

i agree.. that's why so many children are still going from foster home to foster home. it sucks! but that's the way the courts want to be. if i wanted to adopt a black child/chinese/etc. i would do as much as possible to let them learn their heritage. movies, toys, classes, etc.

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I think as long as the child is getting what they need, race doesn't matter. There are so many other factors. I do think that children should be taught their heritage. My children are about as mixed as you get, but have a lot of Native American in them. I wouldn't know where to begin teaching them about their culture, so that's up to SO's family. It is more difficult to educate on different cultures besides your own, but at the same time, I wasn't raised culturly, and I'm fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)