Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are families spreading germs by using a common toothpaste tube?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:23 AM
  • 18 Replies

My family always used the same toothpaste tube or dispenser.  A couple years ago my husband and I started using different toothpastes,  so we had different dispensers. I realized after a short while that it must be more sanitary to not share the toothpaste dispenser.

I used to rinse my toothbrush, rub it across the dispensing opening, then quickly rinse the toothpaste and brush again before brushing. But really, there is no sanitizing going on with a quick rinse this way.

I suspect that we are spreading germs this way, especially a problem if someone is sick. And I wonder if some of the illnesses that sweep through a family may be because of the germs that are passed along because people share a toothpaste tube?

edited to add. I don't want you all to think I am nutz wondering this type of thing. It started when a friend of mine mentioned that when she was sick that she soaked her toothbrush between uses in a glass of peroxide so that she didn't get germs from her toothbrush while she was sick. This got me to thinking about germs and toothbrushes.

by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:25 AM

My husband and I share a tube, but it doesn't ever touch the actual toothbrush.

jennypinfargo
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM

We all have our own tube, I think it is gross to share.  My husband use to use my toothbrush he would just grab whatever one, drove me NUTS SO GROSS!! He was like while you kiss me what is the difference, uck I don't scrape the crap off his teeth with my tounge ewww.

Aamy
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Yes it can be a way to spread germs. We dont touch our brushes to the tube though.... and i also wash the outside part of the tube all the time. 

bellaamore
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

BFMomma08
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM

dh and i share a tube and the kids share a tube (they have a different kind than us)  they only thing different we do is when somebody is sick we change out the toothbrushes as they are all in the cabinet together and to try to avoid the sick germs spreading.  we are not a sick family so it is not really a big deal as we change them every 3  months anyhow.  good thought, never ran across my mind like that!!

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:35 AM

If the toothbrush doesn't touch the opening in the tube, doesn't the toothpaste hang out of the opening and get messy when the lid is replaced? I brush my brush across the opening to make the toothpaste flat so that the cap can go on without squishing toothpaste around.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting jillbailey26:

AudrasMommy
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:37 AM

You know this makes sense!  I don't touch my brush to the tube but I can't really say the same for DH or my oldest because I don't watch them brush their teeth.  But I always wondered if that dispenser that you hang on the wall and press your toothbrush into was unsanitary...not because you are touching the tube but because everyone is touching the dispenser with their toothbrush!

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Good idea to switch out toothbrushes after an illness.  I wonder about starting a new brush when the person is feeling better, certainly by then we should, I'd think, but during the illness the germs are on the brush, and I wonder about the person getting more germs from the brush even when the person is recovering. I don't think I said that very well.  I wonder when we should replace the brush? After the illness is over, the brush may already have been re-infecting the person.

This may seem an odd thing to wonder about, but a friend of mine, when she is sick she has a glass of peroxide in her bathroom and she soaks the brush in that to kill germs on the bristles from the start of her illness, so she isn't getting germs from the brush while she is ill.

Quoting BFMomma08:

dh and i share a tube and the kids share a tube (they have a different kind than us)  they only thing different we do is when somebody is sick we change out the toothbrushes as they are all in the cabinet together and to try to avoid the sick germs spreading.  we are not a sick family so it is not really a big deal as we change them every 3  months anyhow.  good thought, never ran across my mind like that!!

CullenLover
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Quoting jennypinfargo:

We all have our own tube, I think it is gross to share.  My husband use to use my toothbrush he would just grab whatever one, drove me NUTS SO GROSS!! He was like while you kiss me what is the difference, uck I don't scrape the crap off his teeth with my tounge ewww.

LMAO! I agree, we all have our own toothpaste, we all like different kinds

mrsmoore02
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM

We all use our own tubes of toothpaste because we all have different dental needs.

I use whitening and tartar control

DH has sensitive teeth

DS uses kid's toothpaste

DD uses the training toothpaste :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured