Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really? Do you do the whole "Easter Gifts" thing?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:49 AM
  • 214 Replies

I will never send out Thanksgiving cards.  And I will never buy Easter Gifts for my kids. 

Easter baskets with a few candies and a chocolate bunny, yes.  A small stuffed bunny for the seven-year old, yes.  But actual gifts?  That are too big for the basket?

No way. 

What about you?  Is Easter a mini-Christmas for your kids?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annie2244
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Yeah, I'm with you. My 14 y/o is trying to get me to buy her easter gifts this year instead of easter candy. No way. I'm not going there. If she's not into low quality easter candy anymore, we may start experimenting with smaller amounts of better quality stuff, or just move away from the whole jelly bean, chocolate egg scene altogether. But I'm not replacing it with wrapped presents of makeup and abercombie shirts. Nice try, though, kid!

natalies_mama
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:05 AM

no way... 

bellaamore
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:18 AM

Nope.  We don't do commercialization of important things.  It is just horrible in my eyes, plus we live a life of voluntary simplicity, so gifts and all that mess is just silly.

ahyesme
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:24 AM

nope .. I don't do the baskets either .. a bunny that breaks into your house to leave a basket and hide eggs throughout your house is just as moronic as a fat man who breaks into your house to leave you gifts and eat your cookies .. IMO

PrincessMermaid
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:36 AM

I do baskets with some candy and small gifts that can fit in the basket. This yr I spent about $30 on three kids at the dollar store.

PrincessMermaid
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:38 AM

Quoting ahyesme:

nope .. I don't do the baskets either .. a bunny that breaks into your house to leave a basket and hide eggs throughout your house is just as moronic as a fat man who breaks into your house to leave you gifts and eat your cookies .. IMO

Wow. Someone didn't have a very happy childhood.

--- Yes my kids believe in Santa, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy. Big deal it makes them happy and I cherish the memories of waiting for Santa, or losing a tooth and trying in vain to stay awake for her to leave me a quarter. My kids will too. It's kind of sad that you don't do holidays with your kids, IMO.

ahyesme
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Quoting PrincessMermaid:

Quoting ahyesme:

Wow. Someone didn't have a very happy childhood.

--- Yes my kids believe in Santa, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy. Big deal it makes them happy and I cherish the memories of waiting for Santa, or losing a tooth and trying in vain to stay awake for her to leave me a quarter. My kids will too. It's kind of sad that you don't do holidays with your kids, IMO.

I had a fine childhood .. my kids get a couple presents on Christmas which we explain (as well as you can to small children) that we got them presents because we are celebrating the birth of Jesus and since he is not physically here to open gifts, the gifts are for them .. Birthdays are the big thing for us though because it is a time to celebrate that every person is special and their life deserves to be celebrated .. and we do do holidays just not the way that you do

bellaamore
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:47 AM

We don't do the easter bunny or santa, either, the reason?

I don't find it prudent to lie to the people I love.  We have a 100% honesty policy here.

We do not get baskets, nor do we hunt eggs, or get tons of christmas gifts, or leave out cookies, none of it.

In fact, we don't even put up a Christmas tree.  We used to, thinking Punk would "miss out" if we didn't, but he was the one that thought it was dumb and pointless and did no good.

wright1212
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:41 AM

I really dislike commercialization of all holidays. Since my oldest has more severe autism we go by my 5yo understanding of things. I know it wasnt your intention, but I broke it all down. We dont go to church at all. I just recently quit a church nursery JOB I had for 8 years. Since we are selling a house we need ALL weekend to renovate and dont see the point in finding a church home when we are leaving town within months... Plus I think church is just to show off that you like Jesus, what truly matter is what you feel IMO.

Easter: we talk about Jesus, go to families for big dinner, egg hunt, and games. This will be our first year doing baskets. I told DD I set out our already owned baskets and he fills them as he hops by. I went to Target yesterday in the $1 section and my 3 each got 3 items! Now grandparents are a different story and force to be reconed with.

4th July: just fireworks

Halloween: buy used or homemade costume, stop by 2-3 trunk or treats

Thanksgiving: big dinner

X-mas: they get 1 present from Santa, it can be 1 per house (7 grandparents and no one comes to our house). Then a few from each other. My dd makes something for everyone! Her idea!! We give cards to those who dont get presents from us.

New Years is just game night

Then there is Valentines Day, I really dislike this day. Its soooooo fake and woooo the commercials on TV burn me up. Show the one you love you care???? What my husband doesnt love me if he doesnt buy me a $300 necklace every year to show it????????? We do a home made only card. We buy NOTHING, I refuse!

Birthdays and Anniversaries are a big big deal. I never send thank you cards for coming to the party either. I think its silly. We say thank you in person and ensure you had a great time at a party.

Cards in general I hate more and more each time I go to try to buy them. They are sooo fake, $3-6 EACH, and what the heck are you to do after you get one????? I am cleaning out my very dirty messy house in which I have kept everything for 5 years. I find a bday card from 3 yrs ago with only a signature, what was the point? Now its burning in my burn barrell with all my others papers I dont need. SWIM? If I feel a card is in order (like when I left my job). I go online and look up good card poems, saying them make one using scrapbook materials. I spend like $1 and I feel great since I put so much into it.

JUST IMO!! Also sorry when I get on here at 4am I ramble.

Mommy to Corbin (7-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (4) Collin (9/10/09 bf only), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. Babywearing, homecooking, co-sleeping, SAHM.

bellaamore
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:03 AM

Since I am bored, I will ramble as well. LOL

Quoting wright1212:

I really dislike commercialization of all holidays.

Yep, I agree 100%.

Since my oldest has more severe autism we go by my 5yo understanding of things. I know it wasnt your intention, but I broke it all down. We dont go to church at all. I just recently quit a church nursery JOB I had for 8 years. Since we are selling a house we need ALL weekend to renovate and dont see the point in finding a church home when we are leaving town within months... Plus I think church is just to show off that you like Jesus, what truly matter is what you feel IMO.

Easter: we talk about Jesus, go to families for big dinner, egg hunt, and games. This will be our first year doing baskets. I told DD I set out our already owned baskets and he fills them as he hops by. I went to Target yesterday in the $1 section and my 3 each got 3 items! Now grandparents are a different story and force to be reconed with.

Easter: Talk about the Easter holiday, adding on to what we have been discussing since Mardi Gras.  That's all.

4th July: just fireworks

4th July: Nothing since we were not a free nation on the 4th of July, only wrote it down to declare it.  We talk about what REALLY happened, and when we REALLY became free..and what happened on  THAT day.

Halloween: buy used or homemade costume, stop by 2-3 trunk or treats

Halloween: Go to the store, stock up on favorite candy, order pizza, stay up all night watching scary movies and gorging oursleves on crap. LOL

Thanksgiving: big dinner

Thanksgiving: We talk about the REAL story of Thanksgiving and why we don't celebrate it and then go one with life as normal.

X-mas: they get 1 present from Santa, it can be 1 per house (7 grandparents and no one comes to our house). Then a few from each other. My dd makes something for everyone! Her idea!! We give cards to those who dont get presents from us.

Xmas: We have a few gifts that we KNOW are really wanted put up.  We never wrap them or put them out.  Every few hours, a new gift is given.  We talk about when Jesus was really born and why it is important... we talk about how other people see it and ho wthey celebrate it why we don't celebrate like that.  This way, it lasts a lot longer, and the gifts are appreciated... Punk knows how we had to sacrifice throughout the year to get those gifts.  No one else gets gifts.  We do give cards to close family and friends as the only one who gets gifts is Punk.  We also make seafood gumbo with oysters like any self respecting Cajun family. LOL

New Years is just game night

We do not celebrate New Years.

Then there is Valentines Day, I really dislike this day. Its soooooo fake and woooo the commercials on TV burn me up. Show the one you love you care???? What my husband doesnt love me if he doesnt buy me a $300 necklace every year to show it????????? We do a home made only card. We buy NOTHING, I refuse!

We do not celebrate Valentine's day.  We talk about how dumb this holiday is. LOL

Birthdays and Anniversaries are a big big deal. I never send thank you cards for coming to the party either. I think its silly. We say thank you in person and ensure you had a great time at a party.

Yep, birthdays are a huge deal.. Anniversaries are only celebrated if they are a BIG year mark, like 5, 10, 15, 20 year. :)  Each birthday, one big gift is chosen, a friend or two is invited and they get to choose dinner out, or whatever they want me to make, a cake, and an activity.  The whole day is theirs.  The eat whatever they want that day and have no chores. Yeah, no cards for thank yous here, either.

Cards in general I hate more and more each time I go to try to buy them. They are sooo fake, $3-6 EACH, and what the heck are you to do after you get one????? I am cleaning out my very dirty messy house in which I have kept everything for 5 years. I find a bday card from 3 yrs ago with only a signature, what was the point? Now its burning in my burn barrell with all my others papers I dont need. SWIM? If I feel a card is in order (like when I left my job). I go online and look up good card poems, saying them make one using scrapbook materials. I spend like $1 and I feel great since I put so much into it.

As for cards...LOL.  We make our own cards for us three, and for Christmas, which is the only other one with cards for us, I get them for 25 cents each for a box at the Dollar Tree after christmas...I stock up.  I recently ran out after five years.  I have no idea if I will restock or not.

JUST IMO!! Also sorry when I get on here at 4am I ramble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)