Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: Should we get a dog, cat or neither?

Options:

Get a dog, very friendly and protective!

No, get a cat! Cuddly, cute and low maintence!

Neither, just deal with it (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

Okay. The situation is we live in a trailer park where one cat under 70lbs or dog under 70lbs is allowed (so small pets are okay). We already have one rabbit who lives indoors. It is my fiancee, me and our 1yr old. My fiancee's job causes him to have to leave for 4 days once or twice a a month. I thought with my daughter and rabbit I wouldn't feel so alone and feel safe at night. However, I am wanting a small dog or cat to keep me even more company when he is gone. I will be starting a new job in a couple weeks, but only part-time. What would you suggest we do? Thank you!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I dunno.. If it were me, I would get a dog!  Cat's are stinky and mean... If you want that rabbit dead, get a cat..

Crissy2424
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:02 AM

What if we either got rid of the rabbit or just made sure the dog or cat were seperated from the rabbit when the rabbit needed to be out?

Crissy2424
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:11 AM

bump

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:21 AM

i dunno... i think dogs are more of companions and they are protective... We got a german shepherd the 28th of december and you would not believe how protective she is.. She will growl and bark and eat someone up but they won't come near my house...

Quoting Crissy2424:

Okay. The situation is we live in a trailer park where one cat under 70lbs or dog under 70lbs is allowed (so small pets are okay). We already have one rabbit who lives indoors. It is my fiancee, me and our 1yr old. My fiancee's job causes him to have to leave for 4 days once or twice a a month. I thought with my daughter and rabbit I wouldn't feel so alone and feel safe at night. However, I am wanting a small dog or cat to keep me even more company when he is gone. I will be starting a new job in a couple weeks, but only part-time. What would you suggest we do? Thank you!

wedding planning

Crissy2424
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM
If we agreed on a dog, we would want a small dog. We are also not rolling in money either.
raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:24 AM

cat

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Dogs need company. They are pack animals and need their pack. I know a lot of dogs are left alone for long times. Cats are fine being on their own. On the other hand, dogs are yappy and might make you feel more secure at night.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM

If the cat is brought up from kittenhood with the rabbit, I don't think it would bother the rabbit.

Quoting steffielou_who:

I dunno.. If it were me, I would get a dog!  Cat's are stinky and mean... If you want that rabbit dead, get a cat..

mamakenzi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I'm sorry I can't answer this question.  You need to think about how much time you are going to have for maintainence and playing with the pet.  Also you said you guys don't have a lot of money you need to consider how much it costs for the animal, the supplies you'll have to get, food, and don't forget vet bills. 

mamakenzi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I hate cats, cats are mean.

Quoting steffielou_who:

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)