• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what could this be?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:06 AM
  • 6 Replies

i asked in the bfing group but no one likes to answer me there...

my nipple hurts like hell. everytime she latches on theres a pain in it not shooting through but just like the nip is overly sore, and it hurts when i slightly touch it. she doesnt have white patches in her mouth at all. but she does eat off this boob more than the other as she prefers this one more...what could it be? that shes just latching bad? could it be thrush starting? (ive had the pain for about 2 weeks) or just because shes always on this boob?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I dont know. I was a formula feeding mom. BUMP!!!

krazymama4
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM

it could be the start of thrush or basically a yeast infection you might want to put some lanilon on it i had the same prob with the second one i breast fed

heybooboo
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM

it could be the beginning of mastitis.  Apply some warm compresses after she nurses and then some lanolin.  If it doesn't start to feel better you may have to get some antibiotics to prevent infection.

onefootcutiepie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Have you made sure that your ENTIRE nipple is in her mouth? As much of the areola that she can fit? Not just the sticking out part of your nipple, but as much of the dark part of your breast, so that she's not just chomping down and hurting your nipple. Sometimes you have to sort of "squish" your areola and get it in there for her until she gets the hang of getting more than the nipple. I hope this helps!

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I hurt the first couple times and then not after that. It sounds as though it is just irritation from the nursing, unless this is something that has started after a time of not hurting, and if it is getting worse. Since it isn't going away,  I'd suggest consulting someone who is experienced and can see the latching and so forth.

URMySunshine07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I had that issue with my DD. I ended up with Mastitis. NOt fun at all!

You could always call a lactation consultant.

I hope it gets better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)