• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

scum of the earth.

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM
  • 26 Replies

Seriously.  I was making my son lunch, (grilled cheese sandwich) and I hear my son throwing a tantrum about his basket ball hoop not being high enough.  So, I go and higher it to the top position.  I went back to the kitchen (15 feet from where my son was standing) and I tell him I have to finish before it burns.  So I hear this huge CRASH and I run back to the living room and my son threw my laptop on the floor.  So, I say, "This is time out, but first lets see if you broke it."  I was turning it on, making him stand with me while I do it, when he SLAPS me in the face!!!  So I immediately grabbed his hand he smacked me with and gave him a pretty hard swat on the hand (I've never spanked) and put him in time out.   He starts screaming because he has never ever been swatted... 

I was almost crying myself because I never have swatted him ever!  I've always kept my cool.  His hand was sort of red so I put ice on it, its totally better and fine now, but I feel HORRIBLE.

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Your not a bad mom. I would have done the same thing.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Your son throws your laptop on the floor and then slaps you?!  That is beyond disrespectful.  I don't think you should feel guilty for slapping his hand.  Seriously! 

Elizabethmo2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM

it was a swat to the hand don't feel bad I would have smacked his hand too since he smacked you in the face wow I would have taken the basketball hoop away too!  We do spank when needed which isn't often, my 5 year old we don't cause it does nothing where as my son is so young yet he just started responding to time outs verses spankings so we are slowly getting away from it don't stress about it to much I know its hard but remember it makes you feel alot worse then it makes them feel.

acbbsmama
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Quoting jabs54:

Your son throws your laptop on the floor and then slaps you?!  That is beyond disrespectful.  I don't think you should feel guilty for slapping his hand.  Seriously! 

shoegirl01
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I know, but a 2 1/2 year old (in my opinion) doesn't know he is being disrespectful..  I swatted him so hard his hand was a little red!  If it wasn't red I wouldn't have felt this horrible! :(  But, I'm gonna say this worked because he is eating his damn sandwich like a little angel.

Quoting jabs54:

carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I'd have done the same thing. Now he knows that hitting hurts.

shoegirl01
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Yep lol!  You all are making me feel a lot better, thank you!

Quoting carterscutie85:

I'd have done the same thing. Now he knows that hitting hurts.

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

You are not the scum of the earth. You're a mom with a kid who's having a bad day. Take a breath and don't beat yourself up about it. How old is your son? Perhaps he needs a nap. I know that sometimes with my kids (and they are all teenagers now) I just need to send them to their rooms to calm down and regroup, and when I'd check on them they would be asleep. After a short time (no more than an hour) I would wake them and talk to them about what bothered them to the point of a tantrum and would find out they were just tired. 

mommyslove0607
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

my son is 2 1/2 and he gets spankings.. its not that bad. i mean its not really* going to teachhim anything.. but you should REALLY* tell him WHY you did it.. and tell him to NEVER do it again. I dunno. I use spanking when NECESSARY. (which is rare)

Quoting shoegirl01:

I know, but a 2 1/2 year old (in my opinion) doesn't know he is being disrespectful..  I swatted him so hard his hand was a little red!  If it wasn't red I wouldn't have felt this horrible! :(  But, I'm gonna say this worked because he is eating his damn sandwich like a little angel.

Quoting jabs54:

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I would have to disagree.  A 2 1/2 yr old would definitely know not to throw a laptop on the floor and hit his mommy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)