Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use Medicare/Medicaid?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM
  • 26 Replies

Hi!  I'm self-employed and found out when I became pregnant that my self-employment insurance doesn't cover the pregnancy (only if I'm high risk).  I can't be added to my partner's insurance at his company because it has to be during open enrollment (which is in October when I'm due).  Since I've become pregnant, I haven't been feeling well and have really not put a lot into my business so my income has gone way down so much so that I could qualify for medicare/medicaid. 

Is anyone else out there on medicare/medicaid?  If so, which one?  Would you recommend getting on it?  I just want to cut expenses where I can (since the pregnancy and delivery fees will be around 10k when it's all said and done) BUT I don't want to sign up for medicare/medicaid if I'm going to be treated like a dog.  I want to ensure that I'll still have a good doctor and hospital experience (my current doctor doesn't accept medicare/medicaid).  This is my 1st pregnancy so I just want to ensure I'm doing what's smart. 

ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE GREAT!  Thanks in advance for your help!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsLavender
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I'm on medicaid. They did a pretty good job for me too; after I busted some balls to hurry up and put me on it Since I was already 6 months along before I even knew I could use it.

ajmlaa
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

i got medicaid and its good to me too. the plan is medipass thru medicaid. its been really good

RyansMommy6407
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM
My son and I are on Medicaid. Isn't medicare for old people?
leh820
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Haha...maybe.  I haven't researched it yet so I'm unsure of the diffs. 

linseyfrayer
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM

i'm on medicaid the people have been really helpful they help you find a dr and ask you if you wanna get invovled in healthystart and momcare which you do cause they make it so much easier you can call anytime

katiebug840204
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM

We used to be on medicaid but we no longer qualify for it.  By we I mean...all 3 of my kids and myself when I was pregnant everytime.

leh820
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Thanks all!  If you don't mind me asking...how much did you have to pay for the doctors/hospitals out of pocket? 

ajmlaa
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM

me nothing.

Nightshadeisis
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I had to sign my children up on it.  My husband's workplace wanted to charge him over 400.00 per paycheck (800.00 a month total,) to cover both of us plus the children.  So for their sakes, I signed them up.  There hasn't really been any issue with me in doing so, except one; a peds office in my town refuses care to anyone that has medicaid.  Evil wankers.

RyansMommy6407
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Quoting leh820:

Thanks all!  If you don't mind me asking...how much did you have to pay for the doctors/hospitals out of pocket? 

Nothing until I had to get FAMIS (FAMIS is like a step up from medicaid, it's still considered medicaid, but it's for families who make too much for medicaid, but still don;t make enough for private insurance) With Mediacid, you have no co-payments and it covers everything 100% as long as you don't go over 1 million a year. FAMIS has $2 and $5 co-pays for sick visits, free for well visits and co-pays for RXs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)