Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having gallbladder removed and SCARED

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am having my gallbladder removed on April 13th and i am soooo scared.  Ive never had surgery before EVER.  Someone tell me their experiences (good or bad) please!!!!!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakenzi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I have honestly never had a bad surgery experience and I'm hitting double digits for surguries.  You will have my prayers but everything will be okay.  Just stay positive and try not to worry.  I know easier said then done.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

iT WAS AN EXTREMLY EASY SURGERY.  i WENT IN A 7AM AND WAS HOME BY 1PM.  Opps sorry caps locked.  The hardest part was not picking up DD for first few days and rolling over in bed but otherwise i felt so much better afterwords that the discomfort from surgery was nothing!  I got 3 small scares the biggest maybe 2 inches if that big.  My gall bladder was extremely inflamed though so thats why that one was even that big.  If you stick to baked chicken no skin and white rice till surgery that will help you feel better until you get it out.  Good Luck I bet you'll be fine!!

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I had mine removed a few years ago and it was done laparoscopically.  It's where they make the three small incisions and go in, instead of the one big one.  I was home the same day after the surgery and took a few days to get back to normal. 

It's really not that bad at all.

Seans_mommy123
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

The surgery is actually very quick and simple. You go in for surgery and leave all in the same day. You're back to normal within a week or so.

When I had my surgery I was one of the few who will have complications. The clip they use to seal the duct where the remove the gallbladder came off and I had bile leaking into my abdomen. It took 2 weeks for them to figure out the problem. I had 5 additional procedures before the problem was fully resolved. But like I said I was one of the few who will have complications. Otherwise its a very easy and quick procedure.

pamelam20
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I had mine out last year. They told me it was acid reflux for a month before one doctor smartened up and said it was my gall bladder. I was really sore the day of and next morning, but i was up walking around by the second afternoon. Keep up with your pain meds, even if you feel you are doing better TAKE THEM ANYWAYS! :) The pain will hit you hard if you don't remember them. Good luck, it will be fine. It is one of the most routine surgeries they do!

MrsNewman
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I had miine out when I was 15 .... it's simple. No pain that I remember at all.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I'd be scared too mama, BUMP!

CoolMommyofboys
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

I had mine removed a few years ago and it was done laparoscopically.  It's where they make the three small incisions and go in, instead of the one big one.  I was home the same day after the surgery and took a few days to get back to normal. 

It's really not that bad at all.

this is how I had mine done also...I was home by one

I was scared also cuz I hate hospitals- that was the first time I had ever been in one for a reason other than to see some one else that was there- I had my boys at a birthing center (with a midwife) that is how much I hate hospitals

to me...recovering from this was WAY WORSE than recovering after having the baby.  I couldn't get off of the couch by myself (when laying down)  for two or three days.  for a few days, I couldn't stand up straight- my side hurt to much if I did.

I can't really remember but after a week or so, I was fine...the only thing- there for a while, when I'd eat certain things, I'd have major major diarrhea...

that was almost six years ago though...now I am fine

GOOD LUCK to you!!  I'll say a prayer for you that day!  I hope that you will ahe some help with the kids for a few days!

luvbeingmama
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:57 PM

bump

Kat940
by on Apr. 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM

the surgery was no problem.. everything  went fine and I went home the same day? It may have been next day.. sorry spent alot of time in the hospital around that point..   I have problems with anesthesia but we didnt know that since having my gall bladder out was my first surgery. but you will do fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)