Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does everyone just assume...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM
  • 24 Replies

That b/c someone got pregnant at an inopportune time they'll have to have the rest of the world raise their kids? 

My cousin, who is 18 now and 17 when she conceived, is 20 weeks pregnant. I seem to be the ONLY person who believes that it's possible for her to do this! Her sisters think that they'll be the one "raising" the baby (keep in mind, one of them is 14), and her mother, granny, and aunt all have this "she's just a kid she can't possibly do it right" attitude. 

Yes, sometimes it doesn't work out for the better... but this girl has a good head on her shoulders. She messed up, she knows it, and she's doing everything she can to prepare herself for this. As a single teen mother, might she need some advice or help so that she can finish school and get a good job to support her child? Sure. But that doesn't mean that she will just push her kid off to be raised by other people. 

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennypinfargo
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Just make sure that she knows that you know that she will do a good job....

JenniL05
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM

It completely depends on the person...At 19, I was working full time, going to college and buying my first house...all on my own. Maturity is relative. =)

MaxsLovingMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I just saw your siggy.... I don't know where I been, but I didn't know that YOU were pregnant! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

alexa_112
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

it sucks thats how sometimes the grandparents take over the kid and then the parents just give in and forget its their kids idk... she will be fine... shes young but i assume shes out of high school so or about to get out just support her and tell her she can do it with very little help and that she will be a great mommy =]

dosthepost
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I agree. Totally. And I also know that she's got a ways to go... but I think her family is turning this bit of help she may need into this collossal PITA, and she's extremely disappointed in them... the people who are supposed to be there to support her.

Quoting JenniL05:

It completely depends on the person...At 19, I was working full time, going to college and buying my first house...all on my own. Maturity is relative. =)

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

dosthepost
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Haha, thanks!

Quoting MaxsLovingMommy:

I just saw your siggy.... I don't know where I been, but I didn't know that YOU were pregnant! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

dosthepost
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM

She knows. I tell her daily, when she calls me crying b/c someone else has told her that she can't do it.

Quoting jennypinfargo:

Just make sure that she knows that you know that she will do a good job....

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

ashli488
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM

i dont know her but i believe she can do it...

dosthepost
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM

She can. She's already flipped her life over to be the kind of person she needs to be for this kid... 

Quoting ashli488:

i dont know her but i believe she can do it...

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

PrincessMermaid
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM

It depends on the person really. Some are more responsible than others and others are not at all. My niece isn't able to do this at all, and everyone is suffering because of her, yet I have seen some teenage single moms work wonders and do better as parents than some adults. So it all depends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)