Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easter dinner...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi all :) I was wondering if any of you ladies could help me... My family does not do the whole traditional religious Easter dinner. We all get together and do dish to passes for the most part. My father just passed away 2 wks ago on sat. My husband and I are holding Easter at our place for the first time ever. This is the plan so far... Ham with a honey glaze... Broccoli casserole. Thats it so far. Any suggestions? We just want it a little different and something really special without going overboard... 

Help please!!! :) 

Thanks everyone!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM

How about dinner rolls as well?   We used to have ham, scalloped potatoes, this one kind of special corn and rolls.  For dessert was usually pie or cake or cookies.

mamakenzi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Garlic mashed potatoes, they are easy to make and go with everything!

ashley_budro
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM

yamms, green beans, chicken and dumplings , apple pie bananna pudding ,

MiddletonFamily
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM

LOL, We are grilling

SissyAnn141
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:23 PM

The Green Beans are a must.

Also the ROLLS TOPPED with a little butter.

clickable to group-sight.

mommamiaria
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I would like to invite you to join THE COOKING CAFE. It's all about Food, Fun & Friends. Swap recipes, share ideas, ask questions or just hang out. We have a RECIPES section divided into categories to make it easy for our members to find what they are looking for. It's an awesome group and we would love for you to join us.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/27504

Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
GLAZE:
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. For glaze, in a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and butter. Remove from the heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
Working quickly, drizzle over cooled cake.

Classic Red Velvet Cake

1/2 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
3 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
FROSTING:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in food coloring, vinegar, butter flavoring and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. In a large mixing bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth and creamy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.

Party Potatoes

Ingredients:

• 4 cups mashed potatoes (about 8 to 10 large) or prepared instant potatoes
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 teaspoon minced chives
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine potatoes, sour cream, chives and garlic powder. Turn into a greased 2-qt. casserole. Combine bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes. Top with cheese and serve immediately. 10-12 servings.

Party Carrots

2 pounds carrots, sliced
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
2 tablespoons butter
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
4 green onions, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, combine process cheese and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Add the cream cheese, onions, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Drain carrots; stir into cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.

newmom263
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Hello!! I'm doing the "big" Easter dinner at my house too! We go all out for this one.  My menu is ham, smoked turkey, green-bean casserole, corn casserole,potatoe casserole, dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy,  frog-eye salad, deviled eggs,rolls, relish tray & pickles. My desserts are Bananna Split cake, cherry cheesecake & strawberry pie. WHEW! Of course, I'm having people bring some of those dishes I mentioned. Having about 14 people, so hopefully that is enough! Then after dinner, we are doing the Easter Egg hunt on the grounds.  It is supposed to be really nice here in Nebraska on Sunday! Have a great Easter & good luck!

PrincessMermaid
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM

We are having:::: - try the blue punch it is super cute and YUMMY

Deviled eggs

Biscuits with butter

Cooked spiral ham, YUMMY!

Sweet potatos w/ marshmellow topping (for me)

Scalloped potatos (for everyone else)

Green Salad Yum

Asparagus

Special Blue Easter Punch - This is really delicious and you will never make another punch I promise It's too good -

1 bottle lemon lime type soda

1 bottle white cranberry juice

2 packages berry blue colored drink mix (like kool aid or something)

1 and 1/2 cups of sugar or splenda (we use splenda) or other sweetener

1 container vanilla ice cream

Mix the soda, juice, blue drink mixes and sweetener in punch bowl Add scoops of vanilla ice cream on top

It looks like a blue sky with white clouds floating in it - This is also great for baby showers where the woman is having a boy. And it tastes amazing. I always get asked for this recipe after people try to punch.

For dessert - real sorbet inside real fruit cups, we r buying them at costco. They r yummy and come with lemon sorbets in halved lemons, coconut sorbets in halved coconuts, orange sorbet in halved oranges, and pina colada sorbets in halved coconuts. They taste yummy. We might also buy a cheesecake sampler.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)