Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am SO scared, please calm me down!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have been having gall bladder attacks for the past 12 years I just recently found out, I shrugged it off thinking it was just indigestion for this long....2 weeks ago, I ended up spending 5 days in the hospital, becasue over the years, the attacks have been doing a number on my liver apparently...my liver was very infected and enlarged.

they said they wanted to give my liver time to relax for a few weeks before taking out the gall bladder, they say thru ultrasound there is a MASS of stones in there.

I went to my doctor the other day for a 9 day check up on this, and I am still having a fever over 100 at night, and nauseaous, and  i am very sore, feels like a bruise under my ribcage, front and back. he says give it 48 more hours, and then call if it is still bad.

I have been a chicken, I should have called 2 days ago. my situation is worse, but I have been putting it off becasue they will want me in the hospital right away for antibiotics for a few days...then surgery.

I am scared, becasue it cannot be LAPROSCOPICALLY done. It has to be open surgery, a 1-2 hour procedure, and then I will be in the hospital from 4-7 days, and left with a giant 8-10 inch scar along the under side of my ribs. I am TERRIFIED. I do not like the idea of being put under for 2 hours. plus they said it has to be open, because there is a lot of damage to the liver, so they want to make sure eveything is ok, they want to be able to see whats going on, not with just a little camera, in case there is something else wrong.

anyone else have OPEN gall bladder surgery?

we are supposed to close on our house we bought in 4 weeks. they say my recovery will take 4-6 weeks. plus, i have a 15 month old and a 2 month old at home, luckily my hubby works out of the home, but STILL.....

SCARED to death!

I

come join a new group that is all about baby girls born in 2010! share photos, ask questions, meet moms who share this in common! http://www.cafemom.com/group/109294/ The Group name is Baby girls born in 2010.....see ya there!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HuskerAmber
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I had a C-section does that count? I've been put under before too. It's not too bad, I think you're just freaking yourself out. This is something that needs to be done obviously, for your health. You owe this to your children so you can be around for them! Just think of them and don't do anymore damage to your liver. Be brave mama!

paranoiacomplex
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM

gall bladder surgery...no, but I did have open surgery done on my lower jaw bone (it was too short so they "broke" it and lengthened it to prevent me from getiing TMJ later) and that was longer than 2 hrs, and I came out of it just fine!

EdgeOfSanity
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I haven't had that done, but I can see why you're scared. It needs to be done though, momma. I hope everything goes smoothly and that you have a quick recovery!

IluvAsialots4
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Quoting EdgeOfSanity:

I haven't had that done, but I can see why you're scared. It needs to be done though, momma. I hope everything goes smoothly and that you have a quick recovery!

CafeMom Tickers
 i love my girls

CafeMom Tickers

staggsl
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I don't know how much this will help, but when I was 18 I had to have my gallbladder removed.  I suddenly started having intense pain in my ribcage and in my back and I was vomiting profusely.  I went to the hospital and was admitted for 3 days.  Then I was told that because I didn't have insurance and some lady in England has been waiting for 2 years for the same thing, I could wait til I got insurance to pay for it.  The doctor sent me home and told me to eat a low fat diet.  Well, it kept happening every time I ate.  I called him but he just said you probably ate something that irritated it.  Finally, I called him and said the only thing I had to eat was jello.  He said to me, "Well I guess you're not going to be able to eat anything are you".  I couldn't believe his attitude about it.  He told me to go to the hospital and they would give me a shot for the pain.  When I got there, I was admitted and was in the hospital for a total of 5 days that time.  I was so sick, I had to be on antibiotics for 3 days through an IV and my blood sugar level was 1065.  Later I was told that blood sugar that high usually kills you.  I don't know if that is true.  They could not operate until my blood sugar level went down to at least 300 and that took three days.  They did the laparoscopy not the open surgery so I don't know what that is like.  I know it was very painful and now I have type 2 diabetes and I am pretty sure that has a little to do with it.  It's also because I am overweight and don't exactly eat the best sometimes but I really do think that contributed.  My son was 3 months old at the time and his loser father wasn't gonna take care of him even though we were still together at the time.  So his aunt took care of him. 

I guess I can't really offer much in the way of calming.  sorry.  I know how hard it is to get your doctor to actually listen to you and that really sucks.  If it was me, knowing what I know now, I would insist on having the surgery as soon as possible because if you don't there is  a possibility of it getting worse.  With the liver damage I wouldn't mess around at all.  That sounds pretty serious.  I really think you should take care of it soon so you can continue to be there for your children in the future.  Not trying to sound dramatic but I think its pretty serious.

paranoiacomplex
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM

OMG, yeah it's kind of a miracle your not dead...

Quoting staggsl:
my blood sugar lever was 1065.  Later I was told that blood sugar that high usually kills you.  I don't know if that is true.  
Cheribomb
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I have had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically and i have had open surgery on my kidney.  My surgery was 1.5 hours but they told me it was gonna be 2 hrs.  I have a 7 in scar on my side and stayed in the hospital for 6 days.  I woke up in ICU & i guess i was there for 2 hrs but only remember a initial wake up.  I dont' even remember being moved into my room  The first day i was pretty groggy & in & out of sleep most of the day. They keep you pretty doped up.  I was on morphin & tardol* & they gave me zophran cuz i was so doped up i got nauseous.  The would change my bandages each night.  They won't let you eat until you are able to pass gas so make sure you try for that.  I was up & walk a few steps by the 2nd night.  I was sore but it was so bad because they are pretty good about giving meds ( at least my hospital was )  My biggest tip would be to make sure you bring some magazines or a computer cuz you get really bored LoL  Also the day before your surgery how they tell you not to eat after midnight, that day try & eat easily digested foods like chicken soup & stuff. MAKE SURE YOU POO BEFORE SURGERY  ... yeah nobody told me that, i ended up trying to poop out a softball about a week later NOT FUN!!!  honestly i was scared to but in my case i was more scared about not having surgery.  i had 2 mos to think about my surgery before they did it & i swear i was freaking myself out about it.  I would do it, you will feel a lot better... PM me if you have ANY questions.   Good luck....

Nykyria
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Momma, you need this surgery! Your kids need you! Scars these days are not so bad. 

Open surgery is not as bad as people say. I have had three unwanted. One on my neck, which included my vertebrae, I was freaked out and in denial for weeks. It only served to cause me to be in pain for those weeks, the pain getting worse as time went by. Even after surgery I was not happy even though all was well, I had to come to terms with the surgery, unwanted as it was. Only then was I able to accept.

A friend had gall bladder surgery and was so thankful for her feeling of wellness after, she says "DO IT"

Good Luck, its hard, its personal, read about it know your options. 

I will keep your peace of mind in my prayers.

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM

You can't take care of your house or kids without being healthy.  Get it taken care of and go from there.  If your kids were in your position, you'd tell them to get the surgery right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)