• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am SO scared....please help calm me down....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have been having gall bladder attacks for the past 12 years I just recently found out, I shrugged it off thinking it was just indigestion for this long....2 weeks ago, I ended up spending 5 days in the hospital, becasue over the years, the attacks have been doing a number on my liver apparently...my liver was very infected and enlarged.

they said they wanted to give my liver time to relax for a few weeks before taking out the gall bladder, they say thru ultrasound there is a MASS of stones in there.

I went to my doctor the other day for a 9 day check up on this, and I am still having a fever over 100 at night, and nauseaous, and  i am very sore, feels like a bruise under my ribcage, front and back. he says give it 48 more hours, and then call if it is still bad.

I have been a chicken, I should have called 2 days ago. my situation is worse, but I have been putting it off becasue they will want me in the hospital right away for antibiotics for a few days...then surgery.

I am scared, becasue it cannot be LAPROSCOPICALLY done. It has to be open surgery, a 1-2 hour procedure, and then I will be in the hospital from 4-7 days, and left with a giant 8-10 inch scar along the under side of my ribs. I am TERRIFIED. I do not like the idea of being put under for 2 hours. plus they said it has to be open, because there is a lot of damage to the liver, so they want to make sure eveything is ok, they want to be able to see whats going on, not with just a little camera, in case there is something else wrong.

anyone else have OPEN gall bladder surgery?

we are supposed to close on our house we bought in 4 weeks. they say my recovery will take 4-6 weeks. plus, i have a 15 month old and a 2 month old at home, luckily my hubby works out of the home, but STILL.....

SCARED to death!

come join a new group that is all about baby girls born in 2010! share photos, ask questions, meet moms who share this in common! http://www.cafemom.com/group/109294/ The Group name is Baby girls born in 2010.....see ya there!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SpiritWish
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I've never had problems that were severe with my gall bladder... I can say though that if there is liver damage, chances are good (and you should look at it this way too) that if you continue to put it off, the next step is to look for a donor for you. Liver damage isn't something to balk at... If you should have called your doc, then you should have called him... however, fear always prevents patients from contacting doctors... The doc won't be angry or anything so don't worry about it... consider this: The doc knows what's going on. He knows you're scared. Even though it's been 2 days more than it should have been, call him. Do not wait. If he tells you to check into the hospital then do it. At least in the hospital, they can get you started on an IV, give you a massive dose of antibiotics to knock down the infection... This will lower your temperature and control your pain and nausea. Then yes, you will have to go in for surgery. I've always looked at surgery as "the best sleep I've ever gotten" just because of how deep you go under... Also, keep in mind that doctors tell you that it'll be 2 hours but keep in mind, they tell you this because that's an estimated time. It could be longer, it could be shorter. If your gallbladder ruptures though, I can guarantee that it'll be longer. The longest surgery I was in for was 8 hours. It was terrifying but then, every procedure is scary. It's the fear of the unknown. I was told that having my hysterectomy was going to take 3 hours and in the end, it took only 45 minutes. The reason for the 3 hour window is just in case they found something else. Originally it was just supposed to be uterine removal... once the doc went in, he discovered that my ovaries were absolutely covered in cysts, fibroids and endometriosis... The doc told me I was lucky because it could have been cancer... He ended up taking everything... My point is... If you don't take charge of your body and your health, no one will do it for you and you'll be worse off. If your doctor is a good doc, he knows what he's doing and he knows what the anticipated outcome will be. Keep in mind that with any and all procedures, there are risks. Don't let those risks scare you... Just know that they're there and be informed. Also, if this is your first ever surgery, what you can look forward to is meeting with your doctor, the OR nurses, the anesthesiologist, the surgical assistant, the orderlies or nurses that will transport you... in some places, you'll even get to talk to someone from recovery. There is always someone with you through the procedure and recovery.  I won't lie, every time I'd find myself going in, I'd pace the house the entire night before. Find out all you can about this procedure and how it's done. Make a list of questions to ask the doc. Doctors appreciate it more when their patient asks questions than if they don't. It can be as simple as: "will I be alone through surgery?" to "is there a chance a part of my liver will have to be removed?" Ask everything you can... including the risks of not having the surgery.

Oh, and the most important thing to remember... Take a deep breath... It's a general rule that if you go under anesthesia anxious or scared, you'll end up waking up the same way. Ask about what can be done for the anxiety. Hang in there... I hope this helps... I'm really sorry you're going through this but if it'll make you feel better and make you healthy again, consider all options and educate yourself. Good luck! You'll do fine!

KaseyHickman
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM

never had open gall bladder surgery but I can tell you right now your liver is not something to mess around with. Without it you can die. Just try to breath and relax and think about your little girls unless you do this there is no way of knowing if there is extra damage to your liver. Its all for you babies and your husband. They need you. Good Luck and keep us updated on how you are doing!

hugs 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:38 PM

OMG! I'm scared for you mama! GL, you WILL get through it, they do this all the time, the docs. You'll be fine, keep us updated!

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Awww, sorry momma I haven't had gall bladder surgery but I just wanted to wish you ~blessings~  ((((hugs))))

BaileynMe
by on Apr. 3, 2010 at 12:07 AM
I've never had gallbladder surgery period, but really this could cause you serious harm if you don't get it taken care of. Take a deep breath; it's going to be ok. Call your doctor and get it taken care of. Better now before it does serious permanent damage. As for closing on a house, see if you can talk to the bank and your realtor to see if they're willing to move the dates.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)