• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

Any advice on how to mentally deal with sending your child to daycare? I know it sounds weird,but I'm terrified to be away from my son for that long. I know I've complained on here when I've been overwhelmed about wanting to be away from him,but now I have no choice. I HAVE to get a job so I have to put him in daycare. He's never really been around other people for any extended period of time (other than my dad who died last year). He's extremely attached to me and I know he's going to freak out. How can I help him adjust to not being around me all the time and being around other people? I'm afraid he's going to think I'm abandoning him or something. Any advice?

http://jsullivan.mymarkstore.com/
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakenzi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM

You both will do okay.  It will be hard at first but it gets easier with time.

HeartsLove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM

How old? I put mine in about 9mos ago, I hated the thought of it. Back then my DD just turned 3 and my son turned 1, 2 weeks after they started. For the 1st week, they cried when I left them and it broke my heart. Then for the next month, they cried when I came to get them lol. Now they're both perfectly happy there and I don't regret it like I was sure I would. They also have health issues that had me very anxious to leave them, but I interviewed until I found the daycare I was confident with.

MartynsMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM

He's 3 1/2. I found one closeby that seems pretty nice,but I'm still freaking out

HeartsLove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Oh at that age you can prepare him! Talk to him about it, and often. Then give him the chance to explain how he feels about it. I think I bought my DD a slurpee every day for the first month lol, because I felt guilty. But it has to be done, and if you freak out HE will too!

ginal966
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Start slow, get him use to being around other people and children.  Can you leave him for a small amount of time? Then he would know you will come back.  The next best thing would be to get a job where you can be with him.  Can you run your own day  care?   Talk with him, let him know that you both have a job, his is to go to "school".   It's hard, but you will do great!   Good luck, let us know.

cturner10
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Just make sure when you drop him off make sure he knows you are leaving dont sneak out. and hes gonna cry but you have to just go even though you want to stay and comfort him. i have worked in child care for 5 years and i was worried that my son wouldnt want to be there he had never stayed with anyone outside of my family but he loves it.

cturner10
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Quoting cturner10:

Just make sure when you drop him off make sure he knows you are leaving dont sneak out. and hes gonna cry but you have to just go even though you want to stay and comfort him. i have worked in child care for 5 years and i was worried that my son wouldnt want to be there he had never stayed with anyone outside of my family but he loves it.

and he didnt start daycare until he was 2.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Visit the daycare a couple of times and just let him play.  Keep explaining to him this is where he will go when mommy goes to work.  Then leave him for a couple hours.  After a few days leave him for the entire day.  Typically kids cry when their parents are leaving but stop when they are gone.  You can call the daycare when you get to work to assure yourself that he is fine.  Good luck!

lulubird83
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:43 AM

At first I felt really guilty and I would call the daycare all the time. I thought my son felt like I was abandoning him. It didn't help that whenever I dropped him off he would cry. I would end up crying too. That lasted a few weeks, then I started to notice how alert and chatty my son was becoming (he was a VERY late talker). That's when I realized that sending him to daycare was really the right thing to do. When I drop him off now he barely says goodbye to me because he is so excited to see his friends. It gives me a good feeling that he is being well taken care of. Don't worry, you will both survive this change.

canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Quoting mamakenzi:

You both will do okay.  It will be hard at first but it gets easier with time.

http://www.firstgiving.com/forpaige

Lets help find the cure for autism!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)