Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For the love of god....how do I make it stop?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM
  • 29 Replies

My 18 month old cries constantly....about EVERYTHING.  If she's hungry and we aren't getting the food to her fast enough, she cries.   If I am getting her dressed, she cries.  I try to do arts and crafts, playing outside, puzzles, reading books....she cries.  I have ruled out any physical and/or health issues so that's not it.  It's really wearing on me and I don't know what to do.  She doesn't understand time outs and she is barely talking.  She only says dada, mama, ball, uh-oh and that's pretty much it.  I try to encourage her to use her words to tell me what's wrong and she just cries harder.  Someone PLEASE tell me you are going through this and it's "normal".....I am at the end of my rope here.

by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM

It's normal. :-) My DD went through the same thing (still does, to some extent.) I would keep telling her that I couldn't hear her till she used a nice voice, and ignore her demands until she did. 

Mishel73
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 9:40 PM

BUMP

MommySwiggles
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM

My son is 28 months.  He is in a TERRIBLE mood if he is hungry and you can't get him food fast enough.  Now, he can tell me when he is hungry, but that doesn't change anything. He will say "mommy, eat"  or "mommy, hungry" then start to cry.  Maybe you can teach her the sign language for Eat, Hungry and More.   That may make things a bit easier on the both of you.

i.heart.rachel
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Yup.. welcome to motherhood lol. Wait til they get to the terrible 3s. You'll WISH for those days back.

tiffanyrachelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM

it is normal.  we weren't all blessed with the 'quiet' ones.  LOL.  I don't have any advice for you other than to shut off all distractions... get down on her level.... and tell her to calm down.  We tell ours to "use her words and be a big girl."  

kirstn007
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM

HA ...i have a 2 year old and hes been that way awhile. he gets crabby and cries over alot of things, including what u have mentioned.  yes somedays im just like, WHAT DO YOU WANT CHILD? but its normal and i try to stay calm. it doesnt last forever so thank god and i hope it passes fast for you and stay sane you arent alone or the only person lol. he has gotten a little better but now hes on to testing me with fits and seeing how far he can go so i have that now to be dealth with also. im sure your doing a good job just stay calm as much as you can ;)

Allergic2Stupid
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I have twin 20 month olds...I feel your pain.  I was actually thinking to myself today while making dinner and BOTH of them were having a meltdown for no reason "Is this normal?  Am I teaching them to be brats somehow?  Ack!"  It's them expressing frustration sometimes and I get that....but DUDE!  NOT COOL TO DO TO MOMMY!  Mind you both of them having nasty nasty sore bums right now which doesn't help.

Hang in there.  Apparently it goes away....hopefully before Mommy goes whacko!

Feel free to friend me if you want someone to vent to....  We just have to try and focus on the fact that this is a stage all kids go through and that they aren't doing it to make us mad or stressed out.  If my kids weren't so cute I woulda sold them on Ebay ages ago... ;)

Mishel73
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Actually I did teach her sign language for hungry, eat, milk, mama, dada, more.  She used to use them and then stopped.  She used to say quite a few words too.  It almost seems like she's protesting her new sister and being stubborn and quiet and just having the fits to get her way.

Quoting MommySwiggles:

My son is 28 months.  He is in a TERRIBLE mood if he is hungry and you can't get him food fast enough.  Now, he can tell me when he is hungry, but that doesn't change anything. He will say "mommy, eat"  or "mommy, hungry" then start to cry.  Maybe you can teach her the sign language for Eat, Hungry and More.   That may make things a bit easier on the both of you.

Jays_Mama09
by on Apr. 5, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I dont know but that kinda sounds like how my son was acting when he was teething

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM

OH, I HAD A CRIER TOO!!!!

Is she getting enough sleep?  At 18 mos. she should be taking a 3 hour afternoon nap, going to bed at 7 and sleeping until about 7... 15 hours sleep total..also make sure it is good sleep.. had friend who's 2 yr old snored and wasnt getting "rest" which made for grumpy child... now Zyrtec keeps her clear and she is doing better. 
Does she eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, then dinner? 
If I were you, I would try to institute a regular schedule of what her day should be.  (I know with little one hard) a day that includes all of the above and some expected "items" maybe arts and crafts at 9 and playing outside at 11.  Maybe she is missing some routine and feels out of sorts with the new baby.  Ginving her things she can count on  might help her feel regulated.  I would also say to her when she cries.. "Mommy cant help you if she doesnt understand what is wrong.   Use your big girl words." and sit her in a quiet place (a differnt chair then a t/o chair) just one where she can gather herself together. 
My DS started doing super once I gave him some "things" to count on... and he is able to better regulate his feelings and calm himself down. He is 3.5 now.. and yes, we still have our moments.. but I used to go thru this 10x's a day... and now it is once... (maybe twice..LOL)... and maybe he did grow out of it.. but I think having some "constants" in his life made him feel more secure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)