Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

starting birth control pills on the plecebo week

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM
  • 4 Replies

ok, so i have a packet of birth control pills and im confusing myself. if i start them on the first day of my period, shouldnt i start on the "sugar" pill part of the packets week.since its the week i should start my period. like i would hate to start it on the normal pill since i know im not ovulating, just menstruating.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I think you start at the beginning, regardless. You'll fall in line after that. Read the insert.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM

It depends on what type of bc pill you are taking. I just started on the yaz and my DR just told me to start the day she gave them to me. Usally you start on the sunday after your period ends. This is what my bc booklet says word for word about when to start.

1 The first day of your menstural period (bleeding) is day 1 of your cycle. Your dr may advise you to start taking the pills on day 1 or on the first sunday after your period begins. if your period starts on sunday,start that same day.

2 Take one pill at approximatley the same time everyday for 28 days. Begin a new pack the next day,NOT MISSING ANY DAYS. Your period should occur during the last four days of using that pill pack. 

This is from the yaz pill pamplet so it may start earlier then the last 4 days on a diffrent  pill. It is just that yaz has 24 bc pills & has 4 sugar pills the last bc pill I was on before was 21 days because I will not take the sugar pill. Be sure to still use a condom at least for the month mine says 7 days after you start but the other ones I have tried in the past always said a month I still think it is safer to wait the month before you use no other kind of bc JMO. Hope this helps good luck.

kerijeanbean
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:25 AM

With most birth control pills you start the first regular pill on the day you start or the first Sunday after you start your period.  Don't worry about if you are bleeding.  That is how they begin to regulate your cycle.  Did you Doctor not tell you how to take them?

vanillagirl422
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Not unless you want to get pregnant. The sugar pills are reminder pills, if you start on them,you WILL, I repeat YOU WILL get pregnant. They want you to start on your period so the hormones kick in, and also,you'll find in a couple months that your period is clockwork. I've been on the pill for YEARS and I've yet to have a problem,but never ever ever take orthonovum 777, that's like the lowest dose and you'll get pregnant taking it. It happened to me,so I know. It was the first Birth control I took. SO AFTER that, I should say, I never had a problem. Good LUCK!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)