Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really need some help with a budget

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM
  • 17 Replies

Please help me!

I have 200$ beginning Friday to last me for 2 weeks. How in the world do I do this in order to pay for Gas and Groceries. It takes 45$ to fill up my van.... How do I get groceries on only 50$....

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Coupons, Coupons, Coupons!

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Use as little gas as possible- make one trip for all errands if you can.  Pasta is pretty cheap, and beans. So for two weeks you may want to have a lot of these. Mac and cheese, spaghetti, bean soup, chili with beans. Eggs. Ground meat. Try not to neglect fresh fruits and vegetables if you can.  Canned fruits and vegetables are good (as are frozen) but I like to have some fresh leafy greens - not iceburg lettuce- that isn't very nutritious. Grilled cheese sandwiches and canned soup. Good luck!

JvilleMom125
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:50 AM

you fill your van up 3x in two weeks?? well in that case i would only go places you have too. and if you have a sav-a-lot near you, hit that up cause its crazy cheap for groceries... if not hit up the dollar store and make things like spegette for dinner. i do this crazy dish with mac-n-cheese, onions, bag of frozen veggies from the dolllar store, and a lb of hamburg, its like $5 and you have a whole lot of food... you should really get into coupons, it does take a few weeks to get the whole feel of it but it helps a lot!! i got $16 in groceries at publix but saved $33!!  and i had $23 in nonsale items... im just starting out too so i didnt have a stock pile of those things you cannot go without...

Destiny1403
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I fill up my van 2 times in 2 weeks (Once a week).

dosthepost
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM

We've had weeks like that... think SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE. Spaghetti WITHOUT meat, hot dogs (chili dogs, even), those box meals (complete meals), sandwiches... it can be done. No one will enjoy it a whole lot, but it can be done.

Destiny1403
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Does anyone else have any REALLY Cheap dinner ideas?

MomToBeISaMom

You can do it.  Make a list and stick to it. 

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM

buy GENERIC...it will suck, but you have to do what you need to to survive! and i agree, if you dont HAVE to drive someplace...dont, it will help save on gas

Destiny1403

Yeah somehow i accidentally scheduled my mortage twice in one month, so now I am paying for it!

Quoting dosthepost:

We've had weeks like that... think SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE. Spaghetti WITHOUT meat, hot dogs (chili dogs, even), those box meals (complete meals), sandwiches... it can be done. No one will enjoy it a whole lot, but it can be done.

MomToBeISaMom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM

There's nothing wrong with eating breakfast food for supper once in a while.  Eggs, cereal, oatmeal, and pancakes are cheap and easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)