Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I explain the possible death of my 2 1/2 year olds favorite dog to her?update in red

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM
  • 19 Replies

OK so really sad news one of my dogs (my stepsons moms dog really but whatever) is really sick hasn't moved in 2 days hasn't eaten in more like 4 days and it is so sad to see him just lay there but anyway we're bringing him to the vet tomorrow and might have to put him down. Very very sad, the big thing is, is that my Delilah loooves him. She sits with him all the time and has been helping me bring him water and whatnot the past few days. I just don't know how to tell her if we have to put him down. I know that she'll ask questions I just don't know what to say.           

*UPDATE* Well I guess it was his time because our Petchee early this morning. Luckly Delilah is not up yet so I have some time to realy think of what to say. Gia(my stepsons mom) and I are going to take him to be creamated in a little bit, we're waiting for someone to come help us take him because he's a big guy and we can't carry him. Anyway a little but about him he was 13 year old and he was a shephard mix and was just wonderful. He didn't like kids much but wouldn't run from a child with food. He loved to have the back of his ears rubbed as much as possible. He was very kind and was always there when you needed him. Thank you ladies so much.  R.I.P Petchee                                              

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,vaxing,co-sleeping,pro-choice,pro-Obama,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for eual rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChazznRoccosmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Just explain that he was very old and had to go live in heaven. That he won't be coming back home but that he's watching her from the sky. It'll be a while before she stops asking if she can see him, or if he can come back or anything like that. But she'll get through it. I just wouldn't tell her you made the choice to put him down. She might not get over that. 

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (7y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (19m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye.

Kennewickgal
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Be very honest.  Tell her that the dog is going to heaven.  And when she ask's why,,, tell her because your family doesn't want the dog to hurt and be sick anymore and in heaven he won't have to be. And then make sure she understands that when the dog goes to heaven that means the family can't see him anymore.  It will be hard,  first lesson in death is always the hardest but maybe in a few months you can take her to the pound and let her pick out a new dog.  Good luck!

canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I agree with everything she said.

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom:

Just explain that he was very old and had to go live in heaven. That he won't be coming back home but that he's watching her from the sky. It'll be a while before she stops asking if she can see him, or if he can come back or anything like that. But she'll get through it. I just wouldn't tell her you made the choice to put him down. She might not get over that. 

http://www.firstgiving.com/forpaige

Lets help find the cure for autism!!

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I am sorry that your furry friend is so poorly. I agree, that saying he has gone to Heaven is the kindest way to say it. 

reux
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM

So sorry about your dog!  Some people use the rainbow bridge story to comfort children who are losing their pets.  http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Well I really don't believe in heaven and all that but thanks to you wonderful ladies I now know what I am going to say IF that is what happens. I'm going to simply tell her that he was very very sick and had boo-boos and had to go somewhere that he doesn't have boo-boos anymore. I'm seriously like crying as I write this. My poor old man(he's 13 or so) I know that my Delilah will be very upset but I guess it's just a part of life I would honestly rather her learn from a pet than a human(sounds mean but I would rather it be him than Delilah's brothers or something)

london114
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I am very sorry for your dogs illness.  I really like the way you want to explain the dogs passing.  My only suggestion is to be careful that she does not associate boo boos with death.  I would hate for her to think that if she gets a boo boo she will die.  Good luck with her and the dog.

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I didn't even think of that. Wow how things don't cross your mind when your upset huh? Thank you though I will remember that.

Quoting london114:

I am very sorry for your dogs illness.  I really like the way you want to explain the dogs passing.  My only suggestion is to be careful that she does not associate boo boos with death.  I would hate for her to think that if she gets a boo boo she will die.  Good luck with her and the dog.

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,vaxing,co-sleeping,pro-choice,pro-Obama,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for eual rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Same with using the words "put to sleep." Sometimes this disturbs the child when going to bed or at the prospect of anesthesia during surgery.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

I didn't even think of that. Wow how things don't cross your mind when your upset huh? Thank you though I will remember that.

Quoting london114:

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I don't know I hope I don't have to say anything other than Peshi will be getting better and be able to run around with you again. Everyone is saying you know he's 13 and old well he runs around with Delilah and the other dogs just the same and is great. I'm so upset every other animal I have ever had has passed quickly and now I'm like watching him suffer because I have to wait for the dumb vet.

Quoting Bmat:

Same with using the words "put to sleep." Sometimes this disturbs the child when going to bed or at the prospect of anesthesia during surgery.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting london114:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)