Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jealousy

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok  so my daughter is 6 going on 7. she is in the first grade and is friends with everyone in her class and she has tons of friends who don't go to her school. We have recently developed an issue with one of the girls in her class. She is so jealous of my daughter having other friends. This wasn't an issue for me until the parents started. The mother told me her daughter would be to jealous if mine(Emma) started playing with a new friend Gianna. I let that go and just said well she is going to have lots of friends....then Emmas friend ( Alyssa) went and told Gianna and her mom Emma couldn't play with them b/c she didn't want to be Giannas friend....ok so now she is taking it alittle to far...then my daughter tells her friends that come over not to not tell Alyssa she will get mad a 7 yr old shouldn't worry about that...Then here is my final straw...Sat I get a call form Alyssas dad...telling me that Emma should only be friends with kids from her class and that his daughter is hurt by Emma hanging out with other kids....ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!....What would you mothers do in this situation? Would you end the friendship? or would you just let the jelousy run its course????....which would probably end the friendship anyway.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
dosthepost
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I would tell all of the parents to grow up. 

TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I  wouldn't lose sleep over my daughter no longer having her as a friend. - the poor little girl's parents sound like they may have  something a little loose up top. I would tell them that your daughter's friends has nothing to do with them or their daughter and to mind their own. lol But honestly, I would have been so shocked at the ridiculousness of what  they were saying to me that I wouldn't have known how to respond in that moment. lol

ackley4ma
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Yea I was speechless....I feel bad if I tell Emma she can't play...she doesn't understand whats going on...she came home after we went out and was saying why is she fighting over me...LOL I seems like the parents are making her feel left out or jealous over all of this cause they sure aren't trying to put a stop to it

TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Yes that is unfortunate.  Does the little girl come over to your house or do they just play at school? I wouldn't let my daughter go to their house for sure... but if she comes over often, I am not sure about that.  I mean, I would tell your daughter there is no problem playing as much as they want at school! And if they don't want to anymore.. then that's that.

ackley4ma
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Quoting TiDyedSunriseLZ:

Yes that is unfortunate.  Does the little girl come over to your house or do they just play at school? I wouldn't let my daughter go to their house for sure... but if she comes over often, I am not sure about that.  I mean, I would tell your daughter there is no problem playing as much as they want at school! And if they don't want to anymore.. then that's that.

they were having play dates at both houses, but I have since stopped cause when I start getting told who my daughter can play with and who she can't then there is an issue. thank you ladies for you input I am going to keep our distance from them.

BrenMOM
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 7:46 AM

let the jealousy run its course.

Children's list of friends changes like the wind.  I think you can invite whomever you want to your own house.. and if the girls can't be friendly towards each other when playing then that is something they (and theparents) will have to learn.
Everyone does not like Everbody they come in contact with in the real world and kids (and parents) have to learn that friends are not property.

When parents speak their opinions in front of children... it influences the children's actions.

Let the kids figure it out for themselves and the adults step back.

BRen

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I am thinking that you should just let the children play and let friendships develop or fail where they may.

-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Quoting dosthepost:

I would tell all of the parents to grow up. 

this...and as far as the children let the chips fall where they may. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)