Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 12 month old won't eat...ANYTHING

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

My 12 month old daughter has been extremely fussy lately when it comes to food.  She used to be the best eater up until about a week ago when she started refusing everything - even her favorite foods like oatmeal with cottage cheese and fresh fruit.  Breakfast is her favorite meal and she won't even eat that now.  I'm worried because my daughter is already underweight and now she won't even take a bite of her dinner.  The positive is that she's still drinking her milk, but that's it.  Could this be teething related???  Anyone go through this and will she get her appetite back anytime soon??  I'm just worried she's being insanely picky and I refuse to give in and let her eat sweets to compensate for a meal.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loverbugsmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM

BUMP!

bbuck5717
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

My son used to be a great eater, until he got a horrible sore throat. Never went back to eating great, and still to this day (about 10 or 11 months later) still refuses his former faves!

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Does she have any medical issues like reflux???  Teething can cause kiddos to have decreased appetite but the way your describing sounds more than that.  With her already being underweight I personally would contact her Dr.  JMO 

Braxmommy14
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Well my son doesn't eat when he isn't feeling well ( he's 27 months ). But it could also be a stage ...  my son goes through stages like this where his favorite foods he no longer eats, or he decides he only wants carbs, or a certain food, etc. They seem to become picky around this age, I would just continue to offer her food, but don't make a huge deal about it, she will eat when she is hungry. You could also leave out food for her to snack on and see if that does the trick. We always sit together as a family at the table for dinner, if my son isn't in the mood, he may not eat. If thats the case, I will let him get down and I put his dinner on the coffee table that way he can come and go and eat when he is hungry.

Shellness
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Kids have growth spurts where they eat like crazy and then times when it is hard to get them to eat. They have kids Ensure's. Supplement her with those, but if the eating gets extreme, see her doctor. Maybe too much milk filling her up?

nellame98
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM

wow that sounds like my story. my dd is now 17 months old and for the last 2 or 3 months she is like that. she even started to loose weight.  the dr are monitoring her closely but they are saying its just a stage. i hope she grows out of it soon

mamakrod
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM

I forgot to mention that on 4/5/10 she got her first MMR shot.  Less than a week after the shot, she threw up about 3 times in 1 day.  I was told the shot has "flu-like symptoms" but she could have just had the actual flu for all I know.  Since then, she hasn't eaten anything.  I just figured she'd be better by now.  Maybe the MMR is causing her to not want to eat too.  I think we will contact her doctor because she's too underweight for this to just be passed as a "phase".  Maybe her doctor could recommend a weight gain supplement like Ensure.  I'm worried she's not getting her vitamins.  I will try everyone's advice, so thank you moms!!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Could be her ears, teeth, growth, anything bothering her. I would just keep offering a variety, but don't give in to a refusal. She could be flat out not hungry, and that's where picky eaters are made. Mom thinks baby HAS to eat, and begs baby to take this or this or this or this... Eating patterns change, and *I* would suggest to go with the flow and see what happens.

mamakrod
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Could be her ears, teeth, growth, anything bothering her. I would just keep offering a variety, but don't give in to a refusal. She could be flat out not hungry, and that's where picky eaters are made. Mom thinks baby HAS to eat, and begs baby to take this or this or this or this... Eating patterns change, and *I* would suggest to go with the flow and see what happens.

I completely agree with you, but she doesn't even try the food.  How can she be picky when she hasn't even tasted it yet?  She simply turns her head and fusses.  It's very strange.  The daycare said she ate some lunch today, so at least they were able to get her to eat.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I'm just saying that's where it STARTS. Baby goes through a stage where they're not so hungry, adults bend over backwards to find something baby will eat. Baby becomes food boss and adults spend all their days scrambling for something "baby will eat" after that. Bad cycle. Break it by letting her just not be hungry for a while. She's obviously eating AT ALL, so she's doing okay.

Quoting mamakrod:

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I completely agree with you, but she doesn't even try the food.  How can she be picky when she hasn't even tasted it yet?  She simply turns her head and fusses.  It's very strange.  The daycare said she ate some lunch today, so at least they were able to get her to eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)