Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:23 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have seen people say they spend anywhere from $150-600 on a wedding gift. My brother's wedding is in 3 weeks and we really can't afford that much due to how much we are already spending to attend it.

My girls are in the wedding. My parents paid for their dresses, but I still had to pay for alterations and shoes. Also, dh has to miss a day of work to stay home with our little guy. I have to take 3 days off because it's an out of state wedding and we have to drive down with my parents.

When purchasing a wedding gift, do you take into consideration how much you are spending just to attend the wedding? How much do you typically spend on a gift?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Honestly, I know when I got married every little thing was appreciated. I think I did a $15 gift card to one of the stores my friend was registered at the last time a friend got married; I just can't afford a big gift, and your friend ought to understand that. Just get them a gift card to one of the stores they registered at so they can get whatever they didn't get that they really wanted. 

EdgeOfSanity
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM

It's my brother, so I kinda feel obligated to spend a bit more. However, the cost of attending is going to set us back around $295, before the gift. I'm sure they'll be thankful that we were able to celebrate their special day with them, but I feel kinda cheap. They spent quite a bit of money on the gifts they are giving my girls for being in the wedding. My oldest dd's earring/necklace set is around $100....

Quoting BaileynMe:

Honestly, I know when I got married every little thing was appreciated. I think I did a $15 gift card to one of the stores my friend was registered at the last time a friend got married; I just can't afford a big gift, and your friend ought to understand that. Just get them a gift card to one of the stores they registered at so they can get whatever they didn't get that they really wanted. 

proudmommy22805
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Did they register anyplace? Honestly if they did I would just pick something on the cheaper side. That way they get something they want and the gift wont set you back.

nessy1980
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:10 AM

I wouldnt spend much. Just ask your brother what he needs and get it. Maybe get him a steam cleaner you cant go wrong with that.

bellaamore
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:15 AM

I honestly have never given a wedding gift..not even to my own mother or brother.  Isn't being with you husband/ wife the gift? How could you  top that?

dusky_rose
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Honestly, I would only get them something that you can afford. Being at their wedding is a gift in itself, because your children being in the wedding makes the day extra special.

Click above to join Motivate to get in Shape!

PrissyKrissy05
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Quoting dusky_rose:

Honestly, I would only get them something that you can afford. Being at their wedding is a gift in itself, because your children being in the wedding makes the day extra special.

LissaJ83
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:55 AM

20 if not a close relative or friend, 50 for someone who is close... pretty picture frames make a nice gift.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:27 AM

I agree with the picture frames. Get a really pretty one for the bride & groom picture.

Mrs.McElroy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:52 AM

I think with buying a gift it is true that it's the thought that counts. Get them something you think they would really enjoy, or get allot of use out of. You don't necessarily have to spend a fortune on it.  Or take a look at the registry and there is a chance you can find something that they have asked for on-line or at a different store much cheaper.   That was one thing I always told my guests, I'd let them know where I was registered but if they could find the same things cheaper, go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)