Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

banister safety

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM
  • 7 Replies

We're trying to put up a new banister and railing in our home. But I'm scared of having the bars too far apart or too close together since we have a small child already in the home and another on the way. I don't want anyone to get stuck or have them too far apart and risk them falling through. Does anyone know the rules on how far apart they have to be? DH refuses to look because 'I don't care' so its up to me to find out.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
zoeysmom331
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Anyone?

starzylady04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Sorry... I dont have a banister in my house! Heres a bump... Good luck!!! :)

BaileynMe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Standard crib railings are no more than 2 3/8 inches apart. I'm guessing anything further apart than that could be a problem. 

You could look into a bannister guard like this:

http://www.kidsmartliving.com/clbagurash15.html?productid=clbagurash15&channelid=FROOG

okhsmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Whose putting it up?  That person has the codes.  The standard is spaced further than, say a baby crib.  We've built a couple of houses and had the posts just under 4" and the height a couple inches taller than standard.  Have you asked at lowe's or home depot?  They might have the standard specs for stair railing. 

zoeysmom331
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM

DH is. He does all the work in our home himself, except electrical.

Quoting okhsmom:

Whose putting it up?  That person has the codes.  The standard is spaced further than, say a baby crib.  We've built a couple of houses and had the posts just under 4" and the height a couple inches taller than standard.  Have you asked at lowe's or home depot?  They might have the standard specs for stair railing. 

Acid
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Just make sure you put pillows at the end and the bannister is smooth when you slide down.  Not that I know that from experience or anything.

okhsmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM

He probably has contacts then at the stores where is typically purchases.  Stairs and kids are a scary combination, imo.  I'm so glad I'm beyond that baby/toddler stage.  Good luck!

Quoting zoeysmom331:

DH is. He does all the work in our home himself, except electrical.

Quoting okhsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)