Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neeing advice on shaving/bras for dd...

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM
  • 3 Replies

My dd is 10 and she's been bugging me to shave.  She doesn't have uber furry legs by ANY stretch of the imagination, and what she does have isn't really noticible.  When did you let your dd start to shave?  mom told me I couldn't til I started my period, but I was a VERY late bloomer (freshman)  and started shaving in like 5th grade  anyway.

Same question for bras!  When is the right time?  She's not really developing yet... (possibly tmi here...) she's got the lil "puffy nips" as I call 'em, and I'm wondering if it's time for a little "training bra"/sports bra.  (my mom told me I couldn't wear a bra until I could hold a pencil underneath a boob, lol) 

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BaileynMe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I wasn't allowed till 14; by the time my sisters got to that point, my mom had softened up. My 16 yo sister started at 9 (she was particularly furry, and dark too) and my 14 yo sister started at 11 I think (no real interest+eczema=didn't ask till older) and my youngest, 9 yo sister hasn't started yet, though she did get caught using the older girls' razors once, lol.

If she's that self conscious about it, I'd let her start shaving. You can get the razors that have the "safety" wires over them (you can still cut yourself, but not as easily) and just make sure she knows not to press too hard and to be careful around bony areas.

As for the bras... My mom had to FORCE me to wear a training bra around 12 because I was developing. If she WANTS to wear one, go get her a training bra. They don't really do anything other than get her used to the feel. If she doesn't care, just wait a bit. Some women can't EVER hold a pencil under their boob, lol.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Once you start shaving you have nasty black hairs forever. Explain to her that it is not something she needs to rush. If you have the puffs, then that is when I got my training bra. I was in 6th grade. It is not fun to wear a tank top and be exposed once you have started developing.

cristina0709
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM

i started shaving around 10. i think a training bra would be ok. personally, i dont think there is a certain age for anything like that. all girl mature differentely. if she wants a training bra i would get one. if she wants to shave, fine, but teach her (taught myself. learned the hard way about nicks and razor burn).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)