• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you save money?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

I saw the post about he lady being cheap and I want to know what you do to save money??  Do you go to thrift stores for clothes, clip coupons, keep the lights off?

I mean anything and everything?  I'm always looking for things to maximize the cash flow!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
djdouglas60
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM

One thing I do is buy the gallon of Mayo and half gallons of mustard and ketchup and make my own salad dressings. At Sam's Club I can buy the large sizes for the same price as the largest size the grocery store sells and get about 3 or 4 times as much.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

HuskerAmber
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM

garage sales, I wait for sales to purchase most items, clip coupons, match coupons with sales, I don't go shopping often (mall & department stores), to name a few.

flutter523
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I clip coupons and use the weekly ads when I shop to save the most I can.   I like to keep the lights off as long as possible (my sis in law makes fun of me cause my house is like a den hehe) and I share a cell plan with my sister and her DH

I find it really hard to save and would love to hear everyone elses tricks

momofboys21
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM

use energy saver bulbs, coupon mom.com has coupons that you print out for free, look at the bottom shelf in grocery store that is where they place products that are cheaper but just as good, name brands much of the time are at eye level.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I make 3 meals out of a big roast. Like a beef roast, pork roast, or turkey breast. I'll first roast it in oven or save money in summer using my crockpot. then use the crockpot to make a stew, chili, or soup. We may have a sandwich night or I split the left over meat in half and make 2 dishes.

Have a real hard time saving on other things. I do tend to buy toys at thrift stores when it is not a gift occasion. Also use freecycle and pick up clothing and items for my house a lot that way. Or craigslist and ebay. Mostly I set a price I will pay for an item and stick to it.

tyra618
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM

We save most of our money by me cutting coupons.  I can save anywhere from 50-100 depending on how much we need and we only go shopping like every 3weeks.    I unplug any and all things that don't need to be plugged in.  If they are plugged in and not being used it still draws energy which cost money.  We wash cloths at night.  We do buy certain things in bulk.  Toilet paper, garbage bags.  and shop sales.  I just got 3   28 packs of water  for 10 bucks yesterday.  normally a 24 pack is 5dollars and change. 

simple_ole_me
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM

COUPONS! I'm pretty obsessive about it, but it has really slashed our grocery expense in half. I combine coupons with sales to get stuff free or really cheap. To avoid the expense of the Sunday paper, I help out monthly with our local recycling depot. As people are bringing in newspapers, I go through them and pull out the coupon circulars. The more coupons, the more savings! I'm also pretty fond of those "try me free" hang tags that you find on random products at the store. I always buy them and send in the form to get my money back. There's several of these out at any given time, you just have to look for them.

THRIFT STORES: My family and I only buy our clothing from thrift stores, mostly Salvation Army. Our local store has a Saturday deal where they have the "color of the week." Whatever piece of clothing or item has that color, the price is .49 cents. It's a very clean store with super nice clothing. I've got several pieces there with the price tag still on them.

AUCTIONS: I frequent them quite often for basic household items. My latest find was a 10 piece Amway Queen cookware set that I bought for $8. It's by far, the best cookware set I've ever had.

WOOD HEAT: We have a wood furnace that we use all winter long to avoid the high propane bills. We chop the already dead trees from our property in addition to getting truckload fulls from the local sawmill for $10 a load in the summer. It helps them, and helps us!

CRAIGSLIST 'n FREECYCLE: If I need furniture, I visit one of these sites... not Art Van!

DUMPSTER DIVING: It seems extreme, but I've found some amazing stuff in a Bed, Bath, and Beyond dumpster before. My latest find was some brand new dishes still in the box. The whole box was thrown out because one plate was broke. This was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. There's some amazing stuff to be found! And it's great to keep these things from hitting the landfills.

FOOD: We save a ton by eating at home all the time. I make big meals, freeze them, and eat them on the nights I don't feel like cooking! If we do ever eat out. we hit up a place like IHOP or Perkins to take advantage of their "Kids Eat Free" deal.

We really try to live a frugal lifestyle. We don't have any satellite television because we've found that we can watch our favorite shows through the Internet. Hulu.com is a wonderful website! We do, however, have an $8.99 Netflix subscription to get our movie fix. We watch a lot of "on demand" movies through the computer. It beats paying $3 for a new release at the video store. We also take advantage of local movie theatre deals to have family afternoons. Celebration Cinema did a month-long special for kids where kids under 12 had free admission while adults were only $3. We added in a "buy one Pepsi drink, get a free popcorn for free" coupon -- and wah-lah, we had movie night for the three of us for $10.

OH, also reward cards. These are great. There are tons of stores that now offer them. You can get a percentage back on what you buy. You can also go to Upromise to do your online shopping. Some stores offer up to 6% of your total. You can link your Upromise savings to a college account for your children.

...I guess I'll leave it at that for now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)