• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Merry maids employees pay?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone know what a new employee with Merry Maids might make per hour? I know this is a hard question to answer...hoping I will find someone who has either worked for them or known someone who has.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
elleinad
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM

They make crap, especially compared to what they charge you to get your house clean. The company pockets a huge part of the fee and pays their employees min. wage.

shoegirl01
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I would network and do your own house cleaning.  You can easily charge 60-100 per visit and make way more in less time than you would working for htem.

lilliputiansmom
by on May. 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I worked for them in VA. It has been a long time ago, about 11-12 yrs or so. I made a % of the cost of cleaning the house.  You were required to own your own insured vehicle, on your day to drive you got paid x-cent per mile to drive. In the end I made maybe a couple hundred bucks a week if that. The cost of gas then was much lower, unless they have raised what they pay for miles fuel could eat you up. Add in the extra wear on your car and the fact some people just throw the equipment into your trunk and bang up your paint job, I wouldn't drive an expensive car to do the job.

Some days you may get back at 2, others you could get back at 6. Sometimes when we'd finish early and go back we'd be sent back out to help other teams. So much for an early day. When you get back to the office you have to fill up your own cleaning kits and sort out the cleaning rags. If there is a finished load or load that needs to be started, that's up to you too.

I made it about 6 months before I quit. I was totally miserable and cried everyday before work. I hated it, the office staff was mean and catty, the few cleaners who had been there for a long time weren't so friendly either. It sucks if you get sent out with someone you don't like because you are stuck with them all day until you are done. Some of the customers were very nice while some treated you like crap because you were the "maid".  For what I was making it wasn't worth cleaning up shitty toilet seats and vacuuming around dog crap. (yes, we really had people who let there dogs crap stay in the floor) Between used condoms in the sheets, snippy customers who expect you to bend over backwards to serve them it just wasn't worth my sanity.

I will never do that type of work again. You work like mule and someone else gets all the profit.

lilliputiansmom
by on May. 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Quoting elleinad:

They make crap, especially compared to what they charge you to get your house clean. The company pockets a huge part of the fee and pays their employees min. wage.

You are 100% right from my experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)