Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone a nursing assistant or other nurse? *update on results*

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:47 AM
  • 21 Replies

i am taking my STNA *cna* test on Friday and im so nervous!!! any tips or advice? Ive been taking multiple computer test for the written part and so far Ive scored around 88%. but im worried about the skill part! what if i stupidly forget a bold part?? oh gosh im nervous! haha sorry, just need some advice. if i do fail it, how long before i can take it again?

plus, if i do pass it, am i able to just work 4 hours a day at the nursing home? thnx!

*hey! i got my results back. i passed my written part with a 91% (which was easy peasy) and failed my skill part only because i forgot how to tie the restraint knot on my second try! i got it on one side but my mind went blank when i went to do it again on the other side.  so i need to retake only the skill part again, getting 4 new skills and retaking the one i failed. here is what i failed outa the 5.

Your skill exam on May 28, 2010 was comprised of the following tasks, and you must pass all five to pass the exam.

PASSED: Handwashing
PASSED: Denture Care
FAILED: Vest Restraint in Bed
PASSED: Ambulation with Walker
PASSED: Perineal Care Female

oh well, i guess i will go and take it again.  =\

by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marissaj125
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM

thnx for the charm =)

HeartsLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:53 AM

No prob! I don't know anything about the testing, but I wish you luck! I'd love to be a nurse, but I don't have the stomach for the needles and guts and stuff lol. So I'm a bit jealous ;)

Mamie_85
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 2:53 AM

I let my certification lapse, but i was a NA/R (nursing assistant/registered, apparently what they call them around here) anywho, i passed the first time, was really easy actually you'll do fine. i've never heard of 4 hour shifts in a nursing home, just my experience, good luck.

marissaj125
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:56 AM

thnx! i dont have the stomach for needles either, and i hope i dont see guts while working! lol, but being a STNA is mostly doing ADL, activities of daily living. which i love and really enjoy it! i hope i pass so i can get a job!

Quoting HeartsLove:

No prob! I don't know anything about the testing, but I wish you luck! I'd love to be a nurse, but I don't have the stomach for the needles and guts and stuff lol. So I'm a bit jealous ;)

marissaj125
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:58 AM

ok, well i want to do it part time. and i was hoping around 28 hours a week.and evengly do 4 hours a day. but if its unrealistic ill think of something else then. thnx!

Quoting Mamie_85:

I let my certification lapse, but i was a NA/R (nursing assistant/registered, apparently what they call them around here) anywho, i passed the first time, was really easy actually you'll do fine. i've never heard of 4 hour shifts in a nursing home, just my experience, good luck.

HeartsLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Maybe you can do 8 hours a day, but 3 days a week?

Mamie_85
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Quoting HeartsLove:

Maybe you can do 8 hours a day, but 3 days a week?

you can work part time, but usually you just have less days. can't have people changing shifts randomly, upsets the residents lol. unless you have a float at the nursing home you are planning on working at. sometimes we had a float who did a lot of stocking of supplies, cleaning supplies (ie-razors and personal care items, dentures, etc) and other things, sometimes helping lift and move if it was a busy day. or if someone was a no-show then she'd work that shift. our floats worked from 7:30am to like 4:30 pm, just an idea. otherwise, you'll likely get less days a week. good luck again, i loved my job but had to move to be closer with my baby because he was in the nicu for 3 months.

one warning -- do NOT fall for the gossip crap that goes on. everyone on the nursing staff in every home gossips like nothing else. just keep your nose clean, don't try to "fit in" as much as do your job well and you'll be golden lol.

Gone, But Never Forgotten. Our Little Belle

steph2884
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:47 AM

I never took the CNA test because I didn't really think that's what I would have done. I was going on in the nursing program to become an RN, until my school told me I was now on a 2 year wait list for my classes! My certificate from the class I took expired, so I never took the test, though I seriously considered it. I actually started working as a home health care aide for a man I knew. I had the flexability to choose my shifts and my hours. Home health care aides are needed, and being a CNA will ensure you get a good salary. Look into it. I enjoyed it, but had to quit when I got pregnant with my son and had to do some bedrest.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
marissaj125
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

BUMP!

silverdawn99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2010 at 5:10 PM

i didnt have take a skill test. just a written test

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)