Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

16 month old, hysterical crying fits thru the night - what could be wrong?! *UPDATE More q's*

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:56 AM
  • 31 Replies

I'm going to really try not to sound dumb here...

My 16 month old has not been sleeping well for the past week or so. She is fine during the day but bedtime has turned into a difficult time. She usually let's me put her down awake and she falls asleep on her own. LUCKY! Until now. I have had to hold her to calm her crying & rock her to sleep lately. Then she will wake 1-2 times a night screaming and crying and I can usually console her and get her back to sleep until tonight! Its like she just doesn't know what she wants but she's screaming and so upset. The only thing I can think that could be bothering her is teething. But can teething really make a baby this hysterical? My first kid never reacted this way to new teeth. I know ever child is different. I am just at wits end tonight with her and feeling so sad for her. Not even hugs from mommy make her stop crying. I'm really not a clueless mom, I've tried so many things to soothe her, we have a healthy bed time routine, etc. I guess I just can't believe new teeth coming in could make her so so so upset! Help!

**UPDATE**

Her ears checked out fine.  I haven't changed her diet, her digestion is fine, her nap/bedtime schedule had not changed prior to these wakings but it has now since she isn't wanting to go to bed anymore.  She is totally awake and aware, she is not having night terrors.  Doc suspecs teething pain but I am still skeptical about that.  It just doesn't seem normal for her, she never reacted this way when her last 12 teeth (including 4 molars) came in.  I'm leaning more towards the fact that my husband is back to work after being unemployed for 6 months.  I am just clueless to the psychology of it all.  Like what could she be really thinking/feeling about that and why would it cause hysterics only at night?  My husband has to drive far right now for work, we are still asleep when he leaves (sometimes!) and by the time he gets home he has to eat dinner right away and go to bed only an hour or two after that.  It hasn't been particularly hard on me, I am dealing fine meaning I am not overly stressed about it so why would my daughter be?  I don't know.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sierraawilliams
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:00 AM
I've had the same problems lately...teething and night terrors.....she'll get out of bed bawling when she looked like she was sleeping peacefully
HeartsLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Is she responsive to you? Does she look at you when you talk to her, does she blink if you swipe your hand in front of her face? Does she hug you back?

MayaRuby
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:15 AM
In the midst of her screams she doesn't want me talking to her. She swats at me when I am trying to say soothing things to her, she will look at me then look away in anger. She will rest her head on my shoulder and relax for a second then push me away and get off my lap and not want me to touch her. Then she will want me to hold her, then she'll push away again.

Quoting HeartsLove:

Is she responsive to you? Does she look at you when you talk to her, does she blink if you swipe your hand in front of her face? Does she hug you back?

HeartsLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Then that is not a night terror, good news for you trust me. It could be from teething, the pain could have her awake and crabby. What do you give her for pain?

Quoting MayaRuby:

In the midst of her screams she doesn't want me talking to her. She swats at me when I am trying to say soothing things to her, she will look at me then look away in anger. She will rest her head on my shoulder and relax for a second then push me away and get off my lap and not want me to touch her. Then she will want me to hold her, then she'll push away again.

Quoting HeartsLove:

aetrom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:28 AM

sounds like night terrors to me. similar to nightmares but she isn't really awake or aware of what is going on when she is screaming and it will pass on it's own. my first had tons for awhile, so scary. I hate them, you feel so helpless.

cassieslove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:32 AM

How early can they get night terrors?

magenl
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:33 AM
My dd started doing that around that age too. Outta nowhere in the middle of the night she would scream bloody murder! And I tried soothing and talking but nothing! She would push me off and get all crazy on me! She still does it now, she's 20 months, but it's not as much as she used to. She would kick and swing and her pillow would fall off the bed and then she would cry cuz her pillow fell off!
Now I just keep a cup of milk in the fridge waiting for her cuz that seems to be the only thing to calm her down. And it gives me time to recuperate from her fit! Cuz sometimes the milk just settles her down and then shell start cryin again but not screamin. Then shell eventually fall back asleep. I just sit there in her eye sight so she can know that I'm there.
MayaRuby
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:33 AM
I finally gave her some tylenol about an hour ago. I hadn't given her anything previous to tonight. I haven't noticed her gums looking like she was getting any teeth so I just didn't believe this was teething pain but, I guess it is. Like I said, my first daughter didn't seem to be so bothered by new teeth!! Even back then I knew I was pretty lucky though first DD was an easy baby, sooooo easy compared to this little 16 month rascal!!!
cassieslove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Well sometimes I know their gums don't always swell. I know with my son the only thing that will do for his teething is running a finger across his gums and sometimes that won't even work.

HeartsLove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:39 AM

I don't know the correct answer to this, but my DD started having hers at 24 months. They're awful. Just awful.

Quoting cassieslove:

How early can they get night terrors?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN