Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Constipation during pregnancy....

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

So I am 7 weeks pregnant and I am constipated, to the point where my butt is getting sore....So what can I do?? I found 2 different kinda meds in the house, Colace, which is a stool softener and I found Dulcolax, which is laxative tablets...Could I take either one of them while pregnant..???

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I don't know mama. Call your doctor and ask.

AudrasMommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I'm pretty sure you can take the colace.  I took it last pregnancy.  Call your dr. and ask but I'm pretty sure you can.  I don't think you're supposed to take a laxative however.

dosthepost
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Stool softener YES, laxative NO. Also, if you drink coffee in the mornings, don't skip it... coffee is a natural laxative, and people who stop drinking it cold turkey almost always become constipated.

emarin77
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I would ask the doctor because my doctor always said to use the generic form of Colace.

JuneWestling
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Yes your OB should tell you which one of how much. If you can't get an answer a pharmastis can help you as well. But I'm having the opposite problem. 

BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Quoting dosthepost:

Stool softener YES, laxative NO. Also, if you drink coffee in the mornings, don't skip it... coffee is a natural laxative, and people who stop drinking it cold turkey almost always become constipated.

Definitely this. You can have around 12 oz of coffee a day; it's not enough caffeine to have a negative impact unless you're having an extremely complicated pregnancy (usually involving heart issues.)

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Roxy3giraffe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Ding!  Pregnancy can be constipating in the first place and your prenatal vitamin has extra iron in it which will constipate you more + if you're taking extra calcium (which my OB had me do), that can add to it as well. 

Try and drink lots of water too!  A little TMI, but the longer the stool sits in your bowels, the more your body will leach extra moisture out of it (especially when dehydrated) so drink up!

Quoting dosthepost:

CarolinaMom2006
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Thanks Ladies :) Yeah I dont drink coffee, so that's not an issue there, And I drink lots & lots of water, but I am going to call my OB and see what he says, thanks again!

CarolinaMom2006
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I was just put on an antibiotic last week for a UTI, I wonder if that's where the constipation is coming from, They put me on Macrobid, I am taking it twice daily.... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)