Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about the patch birth control

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM
  • 6 Replies

So Im just wondering and i cant seem to find it on line any where, does any one know if the week that you are off the patch if you are more likely to get pregnant than while it is actuall on?  im just wondering what the difference is if any one knows?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommybug77
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Bump. I tried it but went threw 3 patches in 2 days. It would just not stick on me for some reason

SassyMom25
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I used the patch for over 2yrs and it worked great. The only trouble I had is that you shouldn't go swimming with it on because over exposure to water will cause it to unstick. Here is the site for the patch I used: http://www.orthoevra.com/index.html.

I also put mine on my shoulder blade. It was the easiest place because it stayed drier than anywhere else. It works just like the pill and here is an excerpt from the site about it:

Cntrl Cntrl3 Top2

How Does it Work?

The Patch is worn on the body, preventing pregnancy by delivering continuous levels of hormones (progestin and estrogen, respectively) into the bloodstream through the skin. Following this process, the Patch works the same way that pills do: by preventing ovulation. This means that the ovary does not release an egg to be fertilized. It also thickens the cervical mucus, which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the uterus, and it changes the endometrium, which is the mucus membrane that lines the uterus, to reduce the chance of implantation..

It is important to know that you will be exposed to about 60% more estrogen if you use ORTHO EVRA® than if you use a typical birth control pill containing 35 micrograms of estrogen. In general, increased estrogen may increase the risk of side effects. The risk of venous thromboembolic events (blood clots in the legs and/or the lungs) may be increased with ORTHO EVRA® use compared with use of birth control pills. Studies examined the risk of these serious blood clots in women who used either ORTHO EVRA® or birth control pills containing one of two progestins (levonorgestrel or norgestimate) and 30-35 micrograms of estrogen. Results of these studies ranged from an approximate doubling of risk of serious blood clots to no increase in risk in women using ORTHO EVRA® compared with women using birth control pills. Talk to your healthcare professional about how this information relates to your use of ORTHO EVRA®.

momofboys21
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM

BUMP!

ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM

No, you are not more likely to get pregnant.  I would warn you though, if you have sensitive skin or suffer from eczema, I wouldn't use it.  No one warned be about that before I used the patch and I ended up with horrible eczema rashes where the patch was.

treysmama06
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Before i got my inplant put in i had the patch and I LOVED it .. doctors dont want to give it cause it does have alot of side effects and things.

Rae-Rae_Kitty
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:10 PM

as far as I've known, no there is no more liklihood that you will get preggers on the off week than on an on week.

I used to use the patch, but stopped because I was getting damn near debilitating dizzyness every few days. I discussed it with my husband, and we decided to stop it. Planned parenthood at the time refused to see me for an evaluation to decide a different birthcontrol (they said they never change a woman's birthcontrol mid-year). Two months after stopping it, I was pregnant with my son.

**eta** thought I'd throw in that I have a paraguard  IUD now. I love it.

This is My Little Stinker
 WOTC_Ribbon_PNG.png image by SilverMoonBaby

"The good ol days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems." ~Billy Joel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)