Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carseat question for all u wise mommas! :)

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM
  • 49 Replies

Okay, I have never had this issue come up before because both of my daughters were not even at the 20lb mark until well after they turned a year old, so I am lost on this one!  My son just turned 8mos old.  He weighs 25 lbs and (can't remember the inches) has barely an inch of "shell" left above his head, his straps are at the highest point on the infant carrier, and his feet hang way over the end of it.  OF COURSE HE IS STILL REAR-FACING (don't freak out on me LOL), BUT I am pretty sure he needs to be in one of those highback 5pt harness type seats (sorry, not sure of all the tech. names lol).  However, since I want to keep him rearfacing (again, he's not even a  year old yet), I don't know what to do because I tried putting one of those highback 5pt types in my car backwards and the seatbelt will not go all the way around and buckle--it's too short!  I talked to my local PD and the officer told me that it's just a RECOMMENDATION, NOT A LAW to keep your child RF and he turned all three of his children around to FF at 6mos of age because they were so big...Well, this is MY baby and I really don't wanna turn him around yet.  Now I am not one of those "extended rear facing nazi" moms (other ppl's words on here, NOT mine) and I am also not one of those "I will turn him whenever it best suits me" kind of mom.  I just think that I should keep him rear facing until AT LEAST 1 YEAR.  So, any suggestions???  Also...we are broke broke broke right now, so the cheaper the better as long as it's just as safe.  Thanks mommas!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Bump!

Do you not have the LATCH system in your car?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The Cosco Scenera is about as cheap as it gets, and is a great go to seat. RF to 35 lbs, and is about $45. Join the group in my sig to learn more, good for you for knowing to keep your LO RF!!

peanutsmommy1
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM

if you are looking for a no frills and affordable seat, go with the Cosco Senerca, it is around $50

Ton-of-Love
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I don't believe so....hubby and I have tried to figure that out before and couldn't find it and figure anything else out LOL

Quoting BaileynMe:

Bump!

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:56 PM

What type of car do you have? What year is it? Do you have LATCH?

I'd definitely keep him RF. If he has less then 1" of shell above his head he should not ride in his seat until you buy a new one.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Check your car manual. There will be bars between the seat and the seat back.

Quoting Ton-of-Love:

I don't believe so....hubby and I have tried to figure that out before and couldn't find it and figure anything else out LOL

Quoting BaileynMe:

Bump!

Ton-of-Love
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Where do u find them at?  Also, do you think he'll even be in it until a year old since he is only 10lbs away from the 35 lb limit for that?  I would hate to buy it and then in a couple months have to buy another one.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

The Cosco Scenera is about as cheap as it gets, and is a great go to seat. RF to 35 lbs, and is about $45. Join the group in my sig to learn more, good for you for knowing to keep your LO RF!!

Ton-of-Love
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Oh, also--THE PROBLEM IS NOT FINDING ONE FOR HIS WEIGHT, THE PROBLEM IS THAT MY SEATBELT WON'T GO AROUND THEM AND BUCKLE...

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Ton-of-Love
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:00 PM

2004 Pontiac Grand Am...and I just put him in it and actually measured and he has about 2" of shell...still, I would really like to get another one because he'll be at the 1" mark in no time the way he's been growing!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

What type of car do you have? What year is it? Do you have LATCH?

I'd definitely keep him RF. If he has less then 1" of shell above his head he should not ride in his seat until you buy a new one.

BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM

There are usually small metal "hooks" in the seat by the buckle and then on the other side of the seat. They're usually about 2-3 inches wide. There should also be a metal hook either in back of the seat on the floor (if you're in a van or SUV, say) or just behind the seat by the back window (if you're in a smaller car.)

Kids gain weight at weird rates. Most kids' growth slows down around a year, so he could be in it for a while. You could try investing in a seat that has a higher rearfacing weight limit. 

Quoting Ton-of-Love:

Where do u find them at?  Also, do you think he'll even be in it until a year old since he is only 10lbs away from the 35 lb limit for that?  I would hate to buy it and then in a couple months have to buy another one.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)