Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning to swim

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

We are strapped for money so I am unsure as to taking my 14  month old daughter to swimming lessons. For those who taught their children or found a cheaper way to teach your children to swim, how did you go about it? Summer is coming up so I would love to start teaching my daughter how to swim. Any suggestions? Thanks!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM

IDK, I grew up with a lake down the road and none of us ever took swimming lessons, we just learned through practice

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Wow, I must be old school.  Fourteen months seems impossibly young to learn to effectively swim for dear life.  My youngest is 14yo.  So much has changed since I was a young mom with young children.  Is this like new car seat measures?  Is this typical?  Do kids really begin taking swim lessons at this age?  I didn't answer your question.  We've always had a pool so my kids started out in a back floatie then they learned by about 2 and 8 months (they all had fall/winter birthdays so by the next summer after turning two, they learned).  They didn't begin red cross swim lessons until they were four.  Good luck.

by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM

i am not daughter is 6 and is taking lessons this summer....they offer then through the local park and rec dept and only cost us 16 to us that is really cheap...but here at the pool they have lessons for kids as young as 6 months....i think it is never too young to learn...

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I think that sounds young. I didnt have lessons, I just learned by playing around.

by Barb on May. 24, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I taught mine to float first. Of course they also were used to stepping into the water. And then they practiced dipping their heads under water-  what you can do is to make a game of it- dip your head and laugh,  drop a coin or toy on the floor of the pool so that the child has to dip their head under the water to get the object. Then I had them hold on to the edge of the pool and kick so they got the idea of kicking. Then walk around the pool making swimming arm motions. Then float and kick and do arms. Something else is to support the child's arms and pull them around the pool as they kick. Hold your hand under their tummy to support them as they kick and use arms. 

This was a little different than when my younger son took a baby and mom swimming class at the college. In that class the emphasis was on safety, and on what if the child falls into the water- it taught the child what do to if he fell into the water and needed to get to the edge of the pool.  This one had them do the holding on and kicking thing, and the mom stood by the baby and said repeatedly  kick kick kick-  fast - kickkickkick- over and over. Then there was some head dipping so the baby wouldn't be startled- then the moms stood a little away from the baby and let the baby go and yelled the kickkick thing and the babies kicked to their mothers.That's all I remember about it.

These days I think I might get those arm swim things- swimmies? Whatever they are called, and not let the baby in the pool without them, so that the baby wouldn't go near the pool without the floatation devices.

It is an excellent idea to get your little one to be safe in the water. If ever she does get in the water with no adult around she'd know how to get out.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:23 PM

My LO started swim lessons at 7 mos. He's 3 1/2 now. He can swim half way across the pool now. The swim school he goes to is awesome . many cities have affordable swim lessons through the Park & Rec. Dept.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I just started taking Peyton to swim lessons. He is 18 months old. They start with just playing in the water. Started with us just walking around the pool, holding them.  Then walking around holding their waist. Then we'd hold their belly.  Then we started with going under water. We would blow in their face and the dunk them under water. Then we tickled their feet to get them to kick. When the kicked, we left go.  Sounds really scary, but if your child likes the water it is not nearly as traumatic as it sounds. We've had fun and we started about 1 1/2 months ago.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:51 PM

My daughter is 14 months. She also LOVES the water. This past summer we just held on to her and let her just float with us holding her around and around the pool. This year I want to get her even more used to the water. Again, she LOVES the water!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)