Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you explain death? PIOG

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

here is the deal we had to put our dog to sleep last august due to cancer. We found his cancer in February last year and it was in his leg so we amputated his leg and the vet thought the chances were good that we got it all. Well by July he started getting sick again and we took him back in and the cancer had spread to his tummy and lungs so we put him down the beginning of August. At that time I explained to my son that Toby went to live in heaven. Well today he is getting really upset because he wants his Toby. So I explained again that he now lives in heaven, well he is older now and wants to know why he lives in heaven. Well I don''t want to tell him that he got sick and died because I don't want him to think that everytime he gets sick that he will die.   Any think that has helped your child understand death would be useful.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
squidsmommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Well, I had to explain death to my daughter recently because we lost my grandfather. I didn't bother with Heaven because I don't know if there is a Heaven and I"m not going to placate her with a place especially if she can't go there to visit. I told her that Bumpa got really really old and died but that he's in our brain because we can think about him and he's in our hearts because that's where we keep our love. She was fine with that. Don't tell him that he got sick and died, I would go the route of really really old and died.

ECMOM970
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM

You tell him that Toby got sick and died... explain to him that Toby had an illness that could no longer be treated and that he went to heaven becuase people in heaven need good pets too. My two children have lost so many pets and relatives in the last few years that we have gotten pretty good at explaining death. You need to tell him that it is okay to miss Toby and want to see him but that it is not possible. Tell him that where Toby is - he is no longer sick and is happy! Tell him it is good to think of Toby and remember all the fun they had together - have him right a note or draw Toby a picture and send it to heaven with a balloon...we do this once a year to help my dd feel better about losing her family and pets!

KaseyHickman
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

With my son we used fish because fish sometimes do not last very long. I just explained that throughout our lives we begin to get older and our bodies begin to shut down. I told him it is nothing to be afraid of and that for him it would not happen until he was old old old... I also explained that when this does happen our bodies are placed in the earth and our soul moves on to heaven where we live a happy life forever with our family and friends. My son is only 3 so he doesnt really understand but it helps that he knows that dying is a natural part of life. I never really wanted to shelter my son from death because I did not want the first time he experienced death was with someone he loved dearly. That is why I explained things to my son early.

Rae-Rae_Kitty
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM
acbbsmama
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM

My Grandma died last week so I just had to go through this with my kids. I explained to them that she is "sleeping" and only God can awake her. We believe in the resurrection and that we will live on a paradise Earth. Our spirit is returned to God when we die but our soul (body) is returned to the ground and buried. I strongly believe that the dead are aware of nothing and simply wait in their "memorial tombs" until they are resurrected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)