Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

omg i cant believe she friggin did it! *im back, just read every reply*

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM
  • 115 Replies

**Hi, im back. and thank you all for the information and help! im just going to message a few smart mommas here and ask a few more questions. i would love to give very detail so yopu may understand better, but its too much. Nick and I have been doing everything except for the health insurance, since my mom said she will get that covered.which obviously not, so im paying tons of medical bills and figuring this out. They do not babysitt *since i dont let them anyways* and are never home. they want me here to clean and do things for them.Im always stuck inside the house with lily, and i really want her to grow up in a better enviroment. she will be 1 yrs old in July. Plus, if i move to nicks now, cant they file runaway charges against me? he is happy to let me stay with him but my parents are complicated. He has no idea what to do, he is pretty confident she cant get custody but he is always here for me and her!!! his family doesnt know about my mom. OH and i got grounded for the first time ever. So now im stuck at home, and i believe she will take my computer off of me very soon. so i will probably not be able to reply ot this anytime soon. oh and i do not qualify for anything untill im 18. my parents make about 100,000 a year, but they waste all of the money. *none of my concern* so i dont quailify for much since my household makes too much. I really want to GTFO. but where to begin? thanks again!

* i titled my post like this because i cant beleive she had the balls to ask for custody, then threaten me to do it anyways. i didnt excpect this, even after so many helpfull mommies have told me it was sure to happen*

hi, remember my old post

http://www.cafemom.com/group/advice/forums/read/11284485/please_help_child_support_question_thanks_all

and how my mother said she was the legal guardian of my baby because im a minor and a bunch of crap went down with her. Well, many gladly told me im the legal guardian and gave me lots advice how she might want custody of my dd and helped me on what to do and what i should know. but i wasnt going to bug her and i was going to wait 5 months till im 18 and move out with out telling her so she wont get defensive. after her forever hinting to me that she should watch lily while im in college, she asked for guardian ship of her so she can get her on her insurance. but my heart sunk and then i knew what her plan was. I told her no and, im getting my own insurance, she freaked and said "oh, well then i guess ill have to file custody over her and that is that." WTF are you kidding me? you are going to take my child away!!!!!!!! omg, ive been crying and freaking because i feel vulnerable.I KEPT MY PREGNANCY, I KEPT HER THINKING I WOULD LOVE AND CARE FOR HER FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, AND NOW SHE WANTS TO TAKE HER AWYA FROM ME? BS! WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canthaveboys1
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Stop freaking out. Does she have a reason to take her? I was emancipated in court at 16 years old. My mom tried the same shit. I had a job, went to school, and lived on my own. The judge sided with me. Why does she want your daughter so bad?

mama_girl07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:49 PM

She can file for custody but she wont get custody unless she can prove you to be an unfit mother.

ashleymosq
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I'm not sure, but I don't think it works that way. Even if you are under the age of 18, I don't think she can just take away custody like that. You can look up the custody laws for your state or get in contact with a family lawyer.

mbrackett
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM

how are your bf's parents?  Does he live with them or alone?  I would see about getting emansipated.  Maybe moving out..ok def. moving out.  If she can't prove your child is not being taken care of she can't take custody.  IDK what your moms problem is but you need to run and fast. 

FordMama
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Oh wow, that is tough.  That baby is yours.  As long as you haven't done anything horrible to your kid like beat her or neglect her, then your mother has no right to try to take her away from you.  Also, its not like you're 12 years old or something where you would have no way to care for your child.  You are perfectly capable of being a great mother!  Be strong and try to connect with a social worker or something who would know what to do from here. 

marissaj125
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:52 PM

no i dont think. she wants my daughter because she doesnt want me to move and take her awya. i guess she wants a baby to her own. I go to school, im getting my STNA friday and going to go work. the only thing bad about me is that i have no health insurance at the moment for her and i have a very very messy room.

Quoting canthaveboys1:

Stop freaking out. Does she have a reason to take her? I was emancipated in court at 16 years old. My mom tried the same shit. I had a job, went to school, and lived on my own. The judge sided with me. Why does she want your daughter so bad?

kaylasmom22
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Quoting mama_girl07:

She can file for custody but she wont get custody unless she can prove you to be an unfit mother.

True, also grandparents are not allowed custody unless both parents are dead. There was a ruling by the super court a while back. Unless u are a unfit mom she has no case and if she did ur child would go to the dad before it goes to her. Don't worry

marissaj125
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM

i know but im scared. cant she get lawers? should i go get one too, can i afford one?

Quoting ashleymosq:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it works that way. Even if you are under the age of 18, I don't think she can just take away custody like that. You can look up the custody laws for your state or get in contact with a family lawyer.

marissaj125
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM

my SO is 18 (19 in 6 months) since he is an adult, doesnt he get first priority to custody anyways?

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting mama_girl07:

True, also grandparents are not allowed custody unless both parents are dead. There was a ruling by the super court a while back. Unless u are a unfit mom she has no case and if she did ur child would go to the dad before it goes to her. Don't worry

.perfection.
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Unless there is issues in your life that would prove you as unfit then there is not much to worry about.  I'd go and talk with an attorney.  Consults are usually around 100.00 depending on where you live.  The more you find out the better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)