Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 16 months old and the last few days has been super whiny!! I am a SAHM so I've noticed he is pretty clingy and thinks he is the center of the universe, which he is, but it has been extra bad lately! I know he is teething again but has anyone gone through this stage with their little ones around this age??   Also, he has been super picky about what he eats! I am running out of ideas on what to give him for meals. (lunch and diner) he will only eat mac n cheese, grilled cheese, fruit and he still eats baby veggies food cause he won't eat real veggies very often. Any advice there?  THanks!!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CamdensMom12
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM

BUMP

Slieurance
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM

My son is a very picky eater as well (he is 2). Just keep exposing him to the different foods you want him to eat. It may take a while, but he will start to show some interest. Don't stress out about it, it doesn't help and makes meal times miserable.

The clingy thing could be because he is teething. I have noticed when my son is not feeling well he is very clingy.

I hope this helps.

pd4now82
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM

The whining could be part of the teething.  They also are in the "center of the universe" stage right now.  As far as eating, my dd - now just shy of 3 years - is about the same.  She's a picky eater, and ever since she could walk, she's hardly eating anything in one sitting.  I've tried cutting back snacks throughout the day to get her to eat bigger meals at mealtime, doesn't work, so I still just kinda keep some snacks out for her to munch during the day.  I don't know how much food she gets but it seems hardly enything to me - I feel like my 10 month old son eats more than she does! - but she still maintains her weight.  I've talked to pediatirician about it, but they tell me everything shows that she's completely healthy and remind me that she'll eat when she's hungry.  It is true, there might be two days that she hardly eats anything, but then there'll be a day where she's eating well....followed by hardly eating....it just continues. 

Just keep introducing the foods and eventually they'll try it out and eat it.  We as Mom's worry too much sometimes about that stuff, but they know what they need and will eat when they're hungry.  DD also seems to get hung up on certain foods periodically too --- there were times where she seemed obsessed on only eating one or two foods and would only eat that days on end....and then would seem to snap out of it one day and be open to eating other foods.  It comes and goes.  My pediatrician told me not to worry so much about it, sometimes their body just knows what nutrient it's deficient in and wants to load up on it ---- or sometimes that's just what they're in the taste for..... but as long as he's eating, let him eat. 

It doesn't do enough to settle our nerves as parents though, I know.  :-P   Hang in there!

Nykkii
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I'd attribute the whining to teething for now. 

As far as eating.... Do you sit down to eat at the table together?  Do you eat the same foods as him?  He may be more interested in something if you have it too.  Also, maybe he'll try it off your plate?  That what we did with our son.  If it's on our plates, he wants to try it.  And I usually give him something he likes and something new at dinner.  Like... He likes breaded, baked chicken breast so I'll make that with a new kind of potato and a new veggie.  He'll usually eat the chicken first but then tries the other things. 

pd4now82
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I've also successfully - at least at that age - mixed vegetables in with the sauces I had for the meats (like the pasta sauce for pastas, etc) and DD would eat it.  I would  cut up the pasta with the sauce, and then have veggies next to it or intermixed with it, and add a little extra sauce if needed.  She seemed to do okay....for the first few times until she caught on, and started seperating it out.  :-P   My pediatrician said her trick was to mix veggies in with her meatballs.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM

BUMP!

lovinmommy0f3
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I agree

Quoting Slieurance:

My son is a very picky eater as well (he is 2). Just keep exposing him to the different foods you want him to eat. It may take a while, but he will start to show some interest. Don't stress out about it, it doesn't help and makes meal times miserable.

The clingy thing could be because he is teething. I have noticed when my son is not feeling well he is very clingy.

I hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)