Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walmart......discrimination

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:49 PM
  • 37 Replies

Has anyone else experienced any kind of health discrimination at Walmart. Quick story- My SIL has worked for Walmart 15 years , she is 32, and has stage 4 metastatic melanoma. She has had tumors removed from all over her body including her brain, and although she first found out about her cancer 4 years ago...she just recently (last 6 mo) started using her FML time, sick time & vacation. She has held many management positions , and up until today was the HR manager. Walmart demoted her saying she cannot perform her job description , which when printed out says nothing in regards to her needing a longer lunch for chemotherapy or radiation treatments. My SIL has never been written up, coached, missed any time(unless on vacation) She is fighting for her life and Walmart says she isn't reliable enough, as if she asked to have cancer & need treatments. All she wants to do is go to work everyday & do her job. They said if she isn't able to work her "normal" hours, she will be terminated. Anyone else experience this?

treadmillteal ribbon

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dosthepost
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Honestly, if she isn't available to work now as much as she was before, that isn't discrimination. They need someone who can be there all the time, whenever they need them there... I feel for your SIL, truly I do... but unfortunately when you start taking time off work you risk stuff like this happening.

jillbailey26
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM

It isn't personal, it's business.  They have a business to run.  If your SIL isn't there to do her job, it doesn't get done.  So they need to fill the position with someone who can get it done.

I'm sorry about your SIL, it really does suck and I'm sure this is the last thing she needs.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

lovinmommy0f3
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

My nepew was born premature and as a result has to have hearing aids.  But he us perfectly healthy otherwise and is now 19 years old.  He has worked at Captain D's for 4 years now and has time and time again gotten passed up for position of a manager.  When he aked his manager this last time why they were giving the job to someone who had only been there 3 months versus him for 4 years....His manger was leaving the company so had nothing to loose....told my nephew he would never get supervisor position.  Reason being,,with his hearing impairment he is considered a "disabled employee".  Meaning Captain D's get a credit (money) for having a disabled employee.  If they were to give him the much deserved position of manager he wouldn't be considered disabled and they would lose their credit.

silverdawn99
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

i would consult a attonory..it doesnt sound right and i dont think they can get away with that

peanutsmommy1
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

could she be out of FMLA? After she has used up her 90 days, legally they can let her go if she can't return to her previous position

LillysMama0308
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I feel for your Sister and Iam sorry for what she is going through.. But honestly Walmart isnt a great place to work for..  They have change for the worst.. I know this because I work there and I hate it.. Personally I would be getting a lawyer if I was her.. Many people have got something like this in my store too.. 1 guy that I work with came back from work early after have a HEART ATTACK!! Even when his Doctor told him not to.. This is all because Walmart told him that he needed to come back to work or they will fire him..  Another older ladie had to quit because she found out she had cancer and needed Time off ( just like your sister) to care of her self and did all the right paper work for them and THEY DENIED HER!!! They told her that she needed to work and if she didnt come back she was fired!! So she quit on themm.. Another Lady wanted to take time off because her 6 yearold niece died and walmart told her no because a NIECE wasnt family!!! What are you kinding me!!! This company isnt the same at all.. I get told this from people that have worked there for 20 to 25 years and say that ever since Sam Walton died Walmart isnt the same anymore.. They are for the money not for the employee no more..

jennypinfargo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM

this

Quoting dosthepost:

Honestly, if she isn't available to work now as much as she was before, that isn't discrimination. They need someone who can be there all the time, whenever they need them there... I feel for your SIL, truly I do... but unfortunately when you start taking time off work you risk stuff like this happening.

Nykkii
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Walmart is one of the most equal opportunity employers EVER.  Seriously.  We were in Walmart a couple months ago and found an employee talking to the air filters in the automotive dept... having a full blown conversation with the damn things and laughing here and there.  Just two days, in the grocery section, an employee got an inch from my face to ask me if I was finding everything alright, in this high-pitched, creepy voice.  3 aisles later, he did it again.  He definitely wasn't all there.  I think it's great, really. 

What happened to your SIL is just business.  Walmart will accomodate medical isues but if she can't work, she can't work.  Can she file for disability?  Some states have disability through the dept of labor. 

ShawnsMom31
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I'm actually not trying to get opinions, I wanted to see if anyone else has been threw this at Walmart. They actually get sued daily for various unfair practices. It is not like she is a "normal" employee who takes time off, she is trying not to die. She is not taking random time off, she needs a longer lunch because of her appts. I hope none of you guys get cancer. She still did her job , and there are ALOT of other employees that take extended lunch for family reasons....she knows she was head of HR...and that IS discrimination.

Quoting dosthepost:

sharonk101
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM

they cannot do this FMLA( family medical leave act) is a federal law put into place to protect people from this. She needs to call Walmarts main office and tell them what is going on. If this doesn't work she needs to get in touch with the labor board. They cannot hold this time off against her at all. Tell her to look it up on the internet. But if she is a HR Director she should of already known this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)