Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 month old raw bum :(

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM
  • 15 Replies

my poor baby girl she's had diarrhea this would be the 2nd day. she normally does not poop in her sleep at night she normally sleeps through the night but she woke up last night about 1 screaming & i checked her bum she had pooped! and i could get her to stop crying for a while cuz her bum hurt so bad she stiffins up when i change her i feel so bad. I've let her soak in the tub and run bare for 10-15 after. I've been using a luke warm wash rag instead of wipes it seems to not bother her as much. I've also put a little desitin on her bum. She didnt eat or drink anything out of the ordinary and she has not been sick I just dont know where its coming from. some ideas would help thanks so much!!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Could be a yeast infection.

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM

The brat diet always helps with diarrhea.  Bananas, rice, apples (sause), toast.  Can you let her go bare butt a couple times during the day just for 10 minutes each time?  That always does the trick for my DD.  Or maybe its the diaper.  Maybe switch brands with diapers or diaper creams for a few days and see if it helps.  Make sure her skin is completely dry before you put the cream on.  Hope she gets better soon!

BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Are you using the Pampers Cruisers with DryMax tech in them? There's been a lot of controversy with those diapers. Some people are claiming it's caused chemical burns on their child's bottoms.

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Quoting BaileynMe:

Are you using the Pampers Cruisers with DryMax tech in them? There's been a lot of controversy with those diapers. Some people are claiming it's caused chemical burns on their child's bottoms.

True.  Pampers has had their issues lately,  That wouldn't help with the diarrhea though.  Are you using pampers?

wendy1978
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I have found that a and d ointment or neosporin help alot and do not seem to sting ..do not use the balm type like butt paste..just makes them scream more..and the warm soft cloth is the best..wipes have chemicals in them that dont hurt normally but do hurt when they are sore..hope this helps..hugs

love2bmom24-7
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Thanks everyone! & no I think we've used pampers maybe once honestly since she's been born we normally use Luv's and occasionly huggies when there on sale.

BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:09 PM

yeah, I know it won't help the diarrhea but if she had been using them it might've at least calmed the rash. :-)

If it's a yeast infection, cornstarch powder will make it worse, so I'd avoid that if you can. I've used A&D and Aquaphor on DD when she's had bad rash. My doctor recommended a cream with a high zinc concentration (Desitin is the highest I found) but it never seemed to help much. Make sure her bum is completely dry before applying ANY ointment or cream, though.

If the rash gets worse, I'd take her in to the doctor. If the diarrhea persists past tomorrow, I'd take her in for that. Make sure she's getting enough fluid; dehydration is a HUGE concern when there's diarrhea involved.

Quoting -PB:

Quoting BaileynMe:

True.  Pampers has had their issues lately,  That wouldn't help with the diarrhea though.  Are you using pampers?

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

mel600
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM

i have found vacilen (? on speeling) to be prety good put a nice layer in her bottom. and when she does it wont get in the skin so much to make the rash. and maybe cut out fruit for a few days. Rice ceral mixed with yogart will help make it thicker. best of luck to you mama

rousefam5
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Equal parts:

Cortizone

Tanactin (anti fungal creme)

Aquafor

xoch86
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM

try vaceline. it keeps the moisture from getting to the rash and making it worse. it also helps keep her bum from rubbing together(which can be the painful part of a rash).

as far as the diarrea, try light,/dry foods. rice, toast, crackers..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)