Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom and Gemvara gave me a $500 gift certificate

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM
  • 4 Replies

Oval Ruby Necklace in 14K White Gold with Diamond

Item Code: PLD-PEN-43

CafeMom and Gemvara gave me $500 to customize my own jewelry on gemvara.com and asked me to write my honest opinions.

Stacy at Gemvara was very nice and helpful. It took only a few minutes to get the order completed, and the necklace is to come in about three weeks.

It took me a while to decide which necklace to get. I only wanted a necklace and not earrings or rings, since I only wear my wedding band, and don't wear earrings at all. But I do wear necklaces.

Gemvara says that they only sell natural rubies, as opposed to manmade. So I knew that I could expect the price to be higher than for a manmade ruby.

I chose white gold for the setting and the chain, because Gemvara pointed out that the sterling silver would get a patina, and I wanted the metal to stay shiny.The silver would have been less expensive, and the platinum much more expensive.

Using the Gemvara site is very easy. You click on the features you are looking for, and the selection changes accordingly. When it comes down to customizing what you have picked, you can choose gems, metals, chains. It was like being in a candy store, and interesting to see how the look and the price of the item changed.

I've never shopped for rubies before. But during all of this thinking and designing and shopping, I decided to make this necklace my anniversary present, and ruby is the gem for the 40th anniversary, which we are celebrating in July. Diamond is my husband's birthstone, and I thought the tiny diamond would add a bit of sparkle.

Something that I needed to keep reminding myself about was that the ruby will be very small. Gemvara has an easy to use comparison for size available- you can compare the jewelry against a picture of a dime, which was a very useful feature.

Thank you for this opportunity, CafeMom and Gemvara!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BaileynMe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Totally jealous right now!!!

guam_mama
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Yay congratulations!

wells75904
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:21 PM

awesome!!

Kaci
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Thats gorgeous!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)