Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think about backyard chickens?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM
  • 50 Replies

Apparently, "urban chickens" is the newest thing.

Do any of your neighbors have chickens?  Do you? Do you want to?

My sister has chickens and she lives in Seattle itself.  It seems weird to me but they like having fresh eggs . . .

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:58 AM

My dad's neighbors have chickens and roosters and they hate being woke up so early every morning! lol

When I was staying with my husbands aunt, their neighbors had chickens and between the chickens and their dog it was hard to get any sleep.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Here's a site call The City Chicken.  See?  I'm not making this up!  ;)

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:36 AM
I live in the country so it's nothing new here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
akyan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

My dad's neighbors have chickens and roosters and they hate being woke up so early every morning! lol

When I was staying with my husbands aunt, their neighbors had chickens and between the chickens and their dog it was hard to get any sleep.

army_wifey_06
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:49 AM

When I saw the title to this post I thought maybe you lived in my area because I just saw this on KIRO 7 news hahaha. We don't have any chickens but my aunt lives within the city limits of a smaller town outside of Seattle and they have lots of chickens and have for years.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Quoting army_wifey_06:

When I saw the title to this post I thought maybe you lived in my area because I just saw this on KIRO 7 news hahaha. We don't have any chickens but my aunt lives within the city limits of a smaller town outside of Seattle and they have lots of chickens and have for years.

I did see it on the news!  Plus, I'm reading a book about a guy who had chickens called Coop:  A Year of Poultry, Pigs and Parenting.

unspecified42
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I do!

I have 8 laying hens, 4 young laying hens, and 6 broilers. 

I live in a wooded neighborhood- I can see my neighbors through the trees but we have a good amount of privacy. They've never complained.

I love my hens! My son gets paid 5 cents an egg to gather them for me and I enjoy petting them and talking to them and looking out in the backyard at them:)

Out of respect for my neighbors (and no desire for fertile eggs), I don't have a rooster.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I totally would have them if I didn't fear birds lol. And after "Food Inc" I seriously considered growing my own damn meat chickens lol.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Oh and yes I have friends with yard chickens. We're kinda hippie liberal around here.

WImom2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM

No chickens here, and I am pretty sure it would be a HUGE no, no. I don't care if people do it, just not in my subdivision. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)