• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my husband is cursed (Vent)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:55 AM
  • 3 Replies

Okay, so hubby and I have been together for two years and married for 7 months.  He took on my two older children and is in the process of adopting them and we have a 15 month old together and currently 13 weeks pregnant.  My DH moved in in April of 2008 and the contractor he was working for disappeared the same week and took DH's last paycheck with him (DH did trim work for high dollar houses making $20/hr .  I was working so we were okay at the time.  I got pregnant in May and continued to look for work.  We lived in SC at the time and there were pretty much no jobs available.  He started applying at fast food and covenient stores but the news was reporting that with the banks laying off in NC, there were bankers and executives looking for work in that industry as well. He was finally hired in June and had steady work until November.  In Jan. his boss called him for one last job and said he was moving out of state for better work.  DH finished up a job for him and never received his last paycheck.

I had DD in Feb. 2009 and DH was looking for work.  We discussed him moving to NE with my dad and step mom if work was available there for him and the kids and I would follow when we got the money.  He found a remodeling job in May in Nebraska making $15/hr and moved.  He found a better job making $17/hr in July and the same week the kids and I moved to NE to join him.  I became a SAHM at that time.  In November, his job said they were going to have to start traveling but that they wouldn't pay per diem so my dad's friend offered him a job in a meat packing plant with awesome benefits making $12/hr.  We weighed the pros and cons and decided he should try it.  We thought the benefits and education he would get would compensate for  the money loss, plus he was told there was plenty of overtime available.  He started working third shift and there was no overtime, in fact he was working between 32 and 38 hours a week.  We couldn't make ends meet so he quit to go back into construction.

He started working for the guy in March and has recieved one paycheck..  We understood he would be paid when the job was complete but we just found out that his boss was paid up front and more than likely he won't be paid for the last 7 weeks of work.  That comes to about $3,000.00.  He is currently looking for work again but we arent sure what we are going to do in the mean time.  Since the homeowner paid up front, there is no way to get compensated from the home owner.  We dont have the money to hire a lawyer or pay court fees to take the contractor to court for his money.

My question is, how can such a good guy have this happen to him so many times.  He takes pride in his work, he is an excellent father and the most wonderful husband a woman could have.  He wants me to be at home with the kids because he wants to take care of me and be the provider.  He understands out DD still breastfeeds and refuses contact with other people and would never make her be away from me.  Something has got to give.  A man as good as him shouln't have this happen to him at all.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:19 AM

Only thing I can think of is that some how Karma is being a bitch tho from what you said he doesn't sound like a bad person. But any who all i have to say is have faith.

Cat_P
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Life gets really tough sometimes but you guys will make it. I know you will :)

This economy is the poops man :( but I'm sending positive thoughts for you and your family. ♥

MayaRuby
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:18 AM

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  It sounds familiar though.  We have had a rough past couple of years.  My husband was out of work for the last 6 months and it really took a toll on us, emotionally and mentally and even physically - gaining weight from depression.  My husband is a hard worker and takes pride in providing for us but it has just been rough for him on the job front as well.  He just got hired a couple of weeks ago so things are looking up finally.  I hope your husband finds something stable soon.  I know how hard it is all around, not just financially.  Hang in there, the best thing you can do is be super supportive and uplifting to your husband.  He needs it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)