Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

noticing ethnic difference

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:55 AM
  • 26 Replies

What is the normal age that kids realize the difference in people? As in white vs black? And how do you respond to thw question of why they look different?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PandTsmomjuly
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I think my DD was 3.  I just told her that's how God made them.

My little boy has noticed and pointed it out but never asked. He just seems to take it as a given that it's just how it is.

lovinmommy0f3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I think about the age of 4ish.  I always told mine from the bginning before they could ask that God created every person different.  People come in all shapes, sizes and colors just like everything else God created.  Like trees, flowers, etc.  So mine never really asked about differences because they allready knew.

Dari_04
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:05 AM
My son is 15 months and notices differences...he doesn't ask he stares like all little kids do. We just tell him that everyone is different and that they come all shapes sizes and colors...i was raised that way and I don't see color or size and I like it that way because we all look the same as it is! Just minor differences!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squidsmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM

My daughter hasn't said anything about ethnicities, but she mentioned one day that a boy was fat. I simply told her that first, that's not a nice thing to say, it would hurt his feelings. I then told her that everyone is different and that's what makes this world nice. I don't bring god into it because we don't necessarily believe, so we keep it simple for her and we're honest. That's the best way to deal with anything, honesty

CeeJaysmama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM

DD has friends of various race/ethnicities. Shes 3 just sees them as they are, her friends. I don't think she cares what color/shape/size her friends are as long as they want to play and can keep up with her lol.

-xoxo-
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:10 AM

I think Layla was about 4. She was at the playground and a little girl she was playing with told her to stay away from the "N" and the "S" kids that were by the swings. *SMH* I had to give her the talk about how everyone is equal and how that little girl was saying terrible things that should never be repeated etc. 

AirForceWife14
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM
N and S kids??? What does that mean?

Quoting -xoxo-:

I think Layla was about 4. She was at the playground and a little girl she was playing with told her to stay away from the "N" and the "S" kids that were by the swings. *SMH* I had to give her the talk about how everyone is equal and how that little girl was saying terrible things that should never be repeated etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleo1977
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:14 AM

my oldest was about 3 and asked the mail man why he was a different color... well he was a nice mail man and we both told her how people were different and God made them that way...my youngest grew up with difference..... there are 20 yrs between my oldest and youngest...my oldest is married and her mil is gay and married.....my middle dd fiance is columbian, so my youngest  dd always grew up with it around her so she never asked...the worse question was about when my dd got pregnant .not so much about how the baby is getting out but how it got in there. that was hard. she didnt get that concept..

-xoxo-
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I can't type out the words, it's against CM's TOS. They were racial slurs against African Americans ("N" word) and Hispanic people ("S" word). 

Quoting AirForceWife14:

N and S kids??? What does that mean?

Quoting -xoxo-:

Sagely
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I think near the age they recognize colors.  It was so funny when DD thought every black person was a daddy and every white person was a mommy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)