Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is spanky okay?????

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

What are the rules or tems on spankys and how should they be done?????

Your friend,

Jennifer

Praises to, Glory to, the Lord Jesus.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JuJu389
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM

SPARE THE ROD SPOIL THE CHILD nothing more to be said there. I'm not saying abuse them, because there are ways to spank without being physical, like time outs. those are my main thing. a time out gets it done but spankings are used when its something extreme.

LogansMommy0328
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:20 AM
Well my son sometimes need a spanking but I don't do it in public but that's up to you to many ppl out there that get mad when you have to give your kid a little slap on the butt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovey1234
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:21 AM

The research shows that spanking works very well in the short term, and the short term only. By first grade, spanked children show less control over their actions than non-spanked children. 

squidsmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Sorry, but to the lady who replied above me, a time out is not a spank, it's a form of discipline. Personally, we don't spank our children, that to me is an easy way out and isn't properly executed a majority of the time. We use time outs and those are effective as long as you're consistent. If you're hell bent on hitting your child, never do it while mad because then you're striking out at your child for your own benefit. That's all I know for the "rules" because as I said, we find it an easy way out and it's unnecessary. I think of it this way, why would you want your child to experience pain from your hand when you're supposed to love your child with those hands. I won't ever put a hand on my child out of anger to cause her pain, or I should say, to "discipline" her.

oCyn
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM
I beat that lil butt,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squidsmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Quoting Lovey1234:

The research shows that spanking works very well in the short term, and the short term only. By first grade, spanked children show less control over their actions than non-spanked children. 

Yup, teaches them to deal with anger by using violence. I choose to show my child there are other ways to deal with feelings and she has never had a violent moment (she'll be 4 in a month)

Shellness
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I'm a Christian so I try to live my life by Christs example. I never heard of him striking a child or any other person, did you? So I don't do it.

qtmomof2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I think it depends ..what are the reasons for the spank? How often will you be spanking? Etc. I'm not against it ..just never needed to. And my daughter is 10 now ...simply taking away her Wii is enough. But then again ..she is an honor roll student and well behaved.. she doesn't do anything that would result in a spanking!

dreamybabies
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:30 AM

both me and my sister were spanked when we were really bad  but we didn't grow up hating our parents or thinking that we were abused or antyhing.  we're a very close family and to us, that was their way of disciplining I guess.  We also knew when we were going to get spanked because we knew that whatever we were doing was bad and we were going to get punished.

Having said that, my sister and I don't spank our kids.  Perhaps today's society has changed our ways of thinking and shaped (evolved?) our parenting styles and techniques.  I don't use time-outs with my daughter - I talk to her and she usually listens or if she's really bad, I will take away a priviledge like her favorite toy or whatever is in her hand that she is being bad with.  I suppose I will use time-outs when she's older (she's turning 2 next month) but for now, what we're doing is working.

CeeJaysmama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I've only spanked my dd once, and that was when she just kept hitting/kicking me for no reason one day I had enough, time outs weren't working so the last time she hit me (we were sitting on the floor) I flipped her over and gave her a smack on the butt, haven't had that issue sense.

I don't like spanking, wont unless its extreme like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)