Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

rice cereal

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM
  • 4 Replies

so my twins are allowed to have rice cereal now but how many times a day to i let them have it?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mom2ljh
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM

You start with just a teaspoon once a day and go from there, but rice cereal really isn't necessary, nor is it nutritious.  You could do just as well with a mashed up avacado.  It offers plenty of healthy fat and vitamins and will also help them learn to eat off a spoon.

squidsmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Start with one because it may constipate them. You don't want to overwhelm them with solids. Also, as long as their drinking enough formula or breast milk, don't worry about the nutrition value of the cereal. A lot of women on here will try to steer you away from it, but it's  not unhealthy for them, so do what you want.

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:43 AM

I tried rice cereal at 4 months with my DD and she didn't like it so I waited until 5 months and started veggies per her ped's suggestion.  I just wanted to say don't get discouraged if they spit it back out.  Just give a little for a couple days if they don't take to it try again at a later date.  And make the cereal kinda watery.  Add lots of milk or formula to it.

jillbailey26
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM

You can start off with once a day for about 2 weeks, to get them used to it.  Then you can start introducing the baby foods.  Start with veggies, to avoid a sweet tooth.  It's best to start with the green veggies because the orange/yellow ones are sweeter.  Try out each veggie (then fruit) for 3-5 days, one at a time, to avoid allergies.

Also, if rice cereal seems to give them too much gas or constipation, it's safe to switch to the Oatmeal. 

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)