Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ear piercing

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:45 AM
  • 19 Replies

Need some advice, ladies. I am  considering piercing my 9 month old's ears. I originally said I would wait until she was old enough to ask for it but now I'm not sure. She would be adorable with earrings. My main concern is how hard is it really? Is the healing process just hell on babies? And is it possible for her to get the earring out? I am concerned about a choking hazard. I would love for some mommies to weigh on the subject. Thanks for helping.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squidsmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM

The backing of my earrings grew INTO the back of my ears. That was incredibly painful and made it not worth it. I wouldn't do it until she's big enough to take care of it herself.

rosebud727
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM

As cute as it sounds, I would wait till she can do the cleaning and caring for herself.

When my daughter's turned 9 I let them get their ears pierced.

Weird age, but that's what we did.

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Personally, I think earrings look very tacky on babies and toddlers. I would wait.

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

It is soooooo cute!  I want to get them for my DD too.  Her pediatrician's office offers it so it makes me want it even more.  I just can't stand to see her in pain though so I'm gonna wait until she's older.  Also, I got my ears pierced when I was 5 and they got terribly infected b/c I didn't take care of em'.  Those earrings that they use for newly pierced ears click pretty hard.  I wouldn't think a baby could get them off.  If you used that kind of earring all the time I would think it would be fine.

UxorQuodMatris
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Don't know, my girls can't have theirs done until they're 13.

UxorQuodMatris
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I never ever thought I would agree with anything you said...until this.

Quoting YuppyMom:

Personally, I think earrings look very tacky on babies and toddlers. I would wait.

momma2b2008
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM
I won't let me daughter get her ears pierced until she (I think) she is respondsable for taking care of them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KCarroll08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Thanks, ladies. My original decision was to wait until she's older. Then she can care for them and I really do think piercing should be a personal choice.  Earrings are cute, though.

kaylasmom22
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I had my DD done when she was 4 months old. No problems as long as u take care of it.But your child your rules lol

lundaylove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM

i got my girls ears pierced when they were babies. we even did it with the gun (oh my!) we had two ppl do it so both ears were done at the same time and sure they cried but for 2 seconds til i could console them. the earrings are hard for me to take off so they cannot get them off and cleaning them is easier as you do it when bathing them than having to guess if they are able to do it themselves when they are old enough. My girls later had them taken out due to xrays and other health issues but we got one of my daughters repierced and again done at once and she was fine the entire time cried for half a second if that, she was happy that the ladies gave her a lollipop. My other daughter wants them but she wont sit still long enough to do it.

get them done as babies, so much easier imo and its not going to kill your child like some ladies on here think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)