Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of Kids 3 +. manners advice

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

how do you get ur child to drop the nast habit of demanding things? My daughter knows how to ask fo rthings but she still chosses not to just demand but to yell. UGH i was raised in a home where if you riased ur voice you got a pop in the mouth. shes 2 going on 3 in less then a month, & i want to give her more time to perfect asking, any advice would be great♥

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canthaveboys1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I ignore them.

NiekaC
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM

lol i tried by shes a damn broken rocord, I find my self yelling " what the hell do u want now" lol

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I ignore them.

Jaye677
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I have a 3 & 4 yr old that do that also.  When they do, I usually stop, look at them and say "excuse me?"  Then they ask for it correctly.

canthaveboys1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM

lmao! Been there done that. My 8 y/o was real bad, but she is special needs. Everytime she demanded I repeated it in the form of a question and added manners. She would repeat me. Finally she got the hang of it. Sometimes she still does it and I just look at her and say excuse me? Than she rewords it.

Quoting NiekaC:

lol i tried by shes a damn broken rocord, I find my self yelling " what the hell do u want now" lol

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I ignore them.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM

If my son gets like that he does not get what he is asking for or get to go where he wants to or do what he wants  intill he stops acting like that. He has to ask me please & thank you may I have that or do that if he does not say this to me he does not get what he asks for or wants to do. My son is stubborn to. One day I waited an hr because he wanted to go to the park & would not say can we please go to the park he just kept saying I want to go to the park. My son is really good for saying it now.  You just have to be consistent.

jillbailey26
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I don't give them what they ask for until they ask properly. 

In the case of your daughter, since it seems like you've been giving in, stand strong.  Don't give in.  She'll yell, scream and (like you said) sound like a broken record, but you you're bigger than her.  Just keep telling her in a calm, nice voice that she needs to ask nicely and she'll get it.  Don't yell back, don't get mad, just keep your cool.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

chrissy8907
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM

omg i know what you mean but i don't have advice i need helpl on this one too my daughter is the exact same way it's always give me this, i want this and i try to correct and tell her say please and don't yell ugh it's fustrating but hopefully they grow out of it. lol *hugs*

devlinCEO
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I have a 4yo and a 2 yo.  When they first started demanding stuff from me I explained to them that they could not talk to me that way and that they do not get what they want by demanding.  Now with both of them if they demand something I say excuse me? Would you like to try that again?  They always say yes ma'am and then ask for it very politely.  That works for me.  I would never underestimate what kids can understand.  Talk to her. Thats my advice.  Hope it helps.

armybratmom602
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I have a 2yo myself who will be 3 in June. What i tell her is if you yell then you dont get what you want. If i dont yell at you then i want the same respect. Or ill say i dont understand yelling. What ive done with my kids was talk and explain. My oldest will be 8yo and he has so much respect for olders and his peers. Ive never had a problem with him as well as my 2yo. Good Luck =))good luck

devlinCEO
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I say that too.  Mostly during tantrums.  It always stops them. 

Quoting armybratmom602:

I have a 2yo myself who will be 3 in June. What i tell her is if you yell then you dont get what you want. If i do yell at you i want the same respect. Or ill say i dont understand yelling. What ive done with my kids was talk and explain. My oldest will be 8yo and he has so much respect for olders and his peers. Ive never had a problem with him as well as my 2yo. Good Luck =))good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)