Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White flour vs wheat flour

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

Do you use wheat flour in recipes that you normally would use white flour? What about whole grain type flours? DO they make a good substitute in white flour recipes?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mom2jngnc
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

have no idea... I just buy white. I swear it takes me 4 years to go through 1 5# bag...lol

alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

You can use wheat instead of white. It is so much better for you. I highly recommend it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Bmat
by Barb on May. 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I found that you can't substitute them cup for cup. I have a very good roll recipe that calls for white flour, so I used half whole wheat, and the rolls were not very good. Next time I'll try just one cup of whole wheat.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Quoting Bmat:

I found that you can't substitute them cup for cup. I have a very good roll recipe that calls for white flour, so I used half whole wheat, and the rolls were not very good. Next time I'll try just one cup of whole wheat.

Yeah thats what I was wondering....how does the taste match for a cup for cup exchange.

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I do a lot of baking. Do not subnstututre the whole grain /whole wheat exactly for the white flour.  Your result will be very dense in comparison.  You are supposed to split it, half whole wheat and half flour for the best results.  If you are making things like breads and bagels, this is important.  If you are just doing quick-breads and cakes it is not as big a deal.  If you ARE doing rolls, breads, bagels, I suggest splitting a whole grain or whole wheat with an UNBLEACHED white BAKING flour.  The flour you buy makes a huge difference.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

If I were making bread or pancakes, I think I'd substitute no more than 1 cup for 4 cups.  If the recipe called for 4 cups of white flour, I'd use 3 cups plus 1 cup of whole wheat.  I googled, and some of the articles say substitute one for one, but as I said, I was not happy with the result when i did this.

I found this in recipezaar.com

"Whole-wheat flour usually can be substituted for part or all of the all-purpose flour in most recipes. If a recipe calls for two cups flour, try one cup all-purpose and one cup whole-wheat. When completely substituting whole-wheat for white, use 7/8 cup whole-wheat for one cup of white flour."

Bmat
by Barb on May. 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I forgot to mention that I only get unbleached.

Quoting YuppyMom:

I do a lot of baking. Do not subnstututre the whole grain /whole wheat exactly for the white flour.  Your result will be very dense in comparison.  You are supposed to split it, half whole wheat and half flour for the best results.  If you are making things like breads and bagels, this is important.  If you are just doing quick-breads and cakes it is not as big a deal.  If you ARE doing rolls, breads, bagels, I suggest splitting a whole grain or whole wheat with an UNBLEACHED white BAKING flour.  The flour you buy makes a huge difference.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Thanks Ladies this helped alot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)