• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DisneyWorld and Universal Studios?? Park Hopper? Water parks?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM
  • 26 Replies

Sooo...I am planning a trip to Florida it's going to be 10 days 9 nights. I'm leaving the first and last days for travel and settling in/packing to leave. So that leaves us 8 days to play around in Orlando. My question is should I designate 3 days to Universal? Or just 2 days? Also, my friend told me to leave one day in the middle of the trip as a "do nothing day."  Because it gets so crazy down there with all the walking around. And with DisneyWorld.....is the park hopper really worth it? Also they have waterpark access that you can add to your ticket, is it worth it? I mean we have waterparks at home, should we pay the extra $$$ to see Disney's waterparks? Or should we spend the time checking out the park more thoroughly?? Ok wow, that was a lot of questions. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. This is our first time going to Orlando and we want to make the most of it. Thanks ladies!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
qtmomof2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Universal has 2 parks ...so you could do 2 days instead of 3. I would leave your "do nothing" day for sight seeing. Downtown Disney is pretty cool to check out!

And my fave waterpark is Blizzard Beach. I think it's worth it if you have the time. But also if you are staying in a Disney Resort - some of them have some pretty sweet pools with waterslides!!

Mommy_0f_many
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

If you are going to do Disney you really should do the Park Hopper option if you can afford it.  It is nice because you can do Animal Kingdom in the morning (it closes at sundown) and then go to Epcot or another location in the afternoon or evening.  I have never gone to the water parks yet but that is up to you.  If you want to talk Disney PM me :o)  we go every year for Thanksgiving and sometimes for Spring Break too!

Mommy_0f_many
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM

We do Downtown Disney our last day there and do our shopping then.  We eat at the Rain forest Cafe - the kids love it!

ShawnsMom31
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I have been home for a whole 10 days, I just came from there. We spent two days doing Universal/Islands of Adventure and One day at Magic Kingdom, One Day at Hollywood Studios, A used a park Hopper for Epcot & Animal Kingdom. We also spent a day at Sea World. If you have any other questions just ask.

My name is Stacey , I am 35. Mother to my Miracle PCOS son Shawn JR ,  Still in love with Shawn Sr. after 16 years , Licensed Cosmetologist , Notary & Property and Casualty Agent , Scorpio , Honest , Loving , Genuine.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I live in Central Florida. Honestly, I think a full day of Universal is enough but if you really want to see everything in Universal, then make it two days. They also have Islands of Adventure.

I like the park hopper tickets b/c you can hop from one Disney theme park to another on the same day. The Magic Kingdom is a 2 day park. All the others, one day should be enough. I don't like Animal Kingdom. Been there a few times and was disappointed every time.

I like Disney's Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Blizzard Beach is bigger and they have the lazy river that spans the perimeter where you can just lay out on a tire raft and let the current take you slowly around and under waterfalls, etc. The water is maybe waist deep at most so it's also great for the kids. No real danger of drowning and it's a light, slow current, just enough to move you around. 

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/blizzard-beach/

I would tell you to check out the map of what the parks have to offer to see if it's of any interest to your family. Typhoon Lagoon gives the kids the opportunity to swim with the small sharks and fish but the water is freezing cold.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/typhoon-lagoon/

I don't care what water parks there are, Disney has the best, hands down. Aside from that, you're going to be in Florida during the summer months, you will want to enjoy the parks. It's excessively humid in here. I would also recommend that you visit all the parks with a bathingsuit underneath, a small top and shorts. Don't over-dress or you'll sweat to death.

Have fun.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109589 Fathers Rights Cause

http://www.cafemom.com/group/42836 The Spiritual Cafe

I am a Central Florida Realtor http://gobryan.watsonrealtycorp.com/  

lovinmy3babs
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Oh I love it there! I think 2 is plenty for Universal but have not been to the waterparks at disney yet. We did three days at disney and IMO it was not enough time to see everything. You should def check out the strip malls while you are there and do a day at sea world and also gatorland if you can. Have fun!!!

Bmat
by Barb on May. 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I hear the waterparks are very crowded, so I don't know that I'd spend extra for them since you have some at home.  I'd say plan on taking every afternoon off and enjoying the pool where you are stayin.  Can't advise about Universal since I've never been there.  We like Park Hopper mainly because we like to eat in Epcot and we stay near Epcot, so it works for us. I don't think I'd plan on a day off. If you take afternoons or evenings off some of the time, that should be enough.  Have fun!

Bmat
by Barb on May. 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM

We stay 5 nights when we go to Disneyworld. I study the websites and guidebooks and plan out where we'll go each day so that we don't have to bother with planning when we get there, we just say tomorrow is Animal Kingdom in the morning and Hollywood in the afternoon- like that. Be sure to make meal reservations for any sit down meals you want. - you can do that starting 180 days ahead. We plan 4 of the days, and the 5th day we go to whatever we feel like- redo something we enjoyed, shop, visit the various resorts on the property.

staciababy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM

http://www.mousesavers.com/

you will be glad you clicked on the link. We are planning a disney trip as well, and this a great site for ways to save money as well as guidelines for your trip.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 26, 2010 at 11:26 PM

My husband and I are going in December. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)